Christian group books anti-gay ads to appear on buses

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrf097, Apr 19, 2012.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/12/christian-anti-gay-ads-buses

All I can say is "Wow...". This is terrible and just awful.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seeing this crap go on elsewhere leaves me a teeny, teeny bit of hope for the US yet.

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Surely this is against something in the UN Charter?

I wonder if anyone would fund me to personally fly over to London, pin Mike Davies to the wall and knee him so hard in the crotch he wont have a choice but to take it up the ass. :mad:

Are they trying to claim censorship? Really?

Dafaaaq?

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Or we might all just be screwed.

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sadly, a more plausible explanation.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Who wants to bet this group has therapist/psychiatric licenses?

I think it's a felony to practice medicine without a license in every state here; hopefully the UK has a similar law to use against these clowns.

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Hey. We got front row tickets to this show. I'm bringing popcorn and beer.

10. 184550 Guest

Doesn't the UK have stricter 'freedom of speech' laws than the US?

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Wow talk about disgusting.

These people need to actually READ and UNDERSTAND their Bibles instead of listen to the false poison some preacher spews telling them homosexuality is wrong.

I'd love to see what excuse these people would give God for hating fellow human beings.

12. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    "Get over it" in the other group's ad seems preemptively offensive and looking for trouble. What about the many people who have no issue other people's lives? And for those who are busy bodies and are concerned with other people's sex lives, will a little dig like "get over it" change their minds?

I'm sure I'll get down voted for being misunderstood, so I'll point out that I only say this as a matter of effective vs. ineffective rhetoric. In my experience with quite a few people who have come out to their families, people who initially are not accepting will come around, but not through being told to "get over it." People don't generally like being insulted.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I understand what you are saying - but for as many people that have good experiences with people "coming around" there have been as many people where friends and family members have not "come around". In these instances, what else can you do but say "get over it". There are plenty of people that don't - whether you insult them or not.

And, frankly, if you are being spurned because of your sexuality (or other such things you have no control over), why would you worry about insulting someone?

14. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I can't wait for the older generations to die off and stop voting, they are the ones mostly that are are ultra conservative. Not to be offensive, but honestly, as time progresses society becomes more progressive. I can not stand this status quo.

15. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I can't wait for the younger generation to get older so that they actually turn out to vote. Not to be offensive, but, honestly, 18-29 year olds don't register, and when they do register, they don't bother to vote because, boo-hoo, they aren't enthusiastic about the candidates. So, every year, the right-wing, about 25% of the voting age population, is competitive in elections. I can not stand this status quo. ;)

"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote."

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Me too.

It makes me slightly less ashamed to be an American.

Thanks Brits!

----------

Amen.

In the end, the people have no one to blame but them(our)selves.

17. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    You know I totally agree. I am 29 and I have noticed that there seems to be no counter-culture in my generation. I grew up in very small towns but even when I went to college I was shocked at how everyone was the same as in the small towns, wanting to please the professors. I never saw any of that stereotypical fight-the-man, radicalism type stuff I've heard people experienced in the '60s (going to William and Mary didn't help, it's a fairy traditional school). But in the mainly low-wage service jobs I've had, I never hear employees complain either or talk about unionizing, etc. In the job I have now, there is all this talk about serving the company, and I even see employees signing up for volunteer hours (doing the same work unpaid) with the hope of being seen by the higher-ups and getting promoted. No outrage. Just people asleep on the inside and ingratiating themselves with the hands that feed even as they make the crumbs harder and harder to get.

And I really am sick of these people who got rallied up in 08 for Obama because they wanted change without realizing what a long-distance race we are all in. "Change" and "hope" were partially attitudes and you can see them reflected in Obama's extreme patience, but also partially marketing, and what these voters didn't seem to care about was policy. Obama was and is a Democrat who has fought for more progressive policies (relative to the current political climate) and has been gridlocked at every step. And then these people who voted for him, this supposed new generation of voters, are so fickle that at the first sign of difficulty, they complain that they don't see change and vote in a Congress that furthers the gridlock.

I don't think they have the ability to step back—far back—and look at how political progress in our country has stalemated greatly since FDR and then later LBJ. The focus is so narrow and so relative to what happened yesterday. There are wider swings we need to make and I wouldn't even necessarily they are left-hand turns, even if the Democrats present the best chance of making those changes. We need to return to making real policy changes and being proud of how we can improve society. People now seem to have some weird notion that a society left to decay and accepting whatever shakes out is somehow noble. When I see the roads, the school buildings falling apart, the poverty, I think to myself: how can the very wealthy even enjoy living in this country? Sure they can hide themselves in gated communities and black Escalades, but aren't they embarrassed? It would be like living in a mansion with a next-door neighbor who has broken cars on his front lawn. Don't they have any decorum? I don't believe in any idea of wealth or decorum that lives in a vacuum. This might sound like a horribly naive analogy, but it makes me think of the estates like you see in Downton Abbey. The maids and servants are dressed in nice clothes. It would be an embarrassment for the ruling class to have farmers live in decrepit houses and wear tattered clothing.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

19. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Well SoB, no down vote from me, but down here, saying to somebody to "Get over it" is used conversationally in every day banter. It's like like saying "Suck it up Bitch" I certainly take no offence which ever side of the of the 'camp' they are on. I am on the GLBT side having been active since the 60's.

Five years before the now famous Stonewall riots I was out and misbehaving down here. Believe me things have improved, not in leaps and bounds, but it's a better life now and it can only continue to keep on getting better tomorrow. There are the usual naysayers but not as bad as the days of Patricia Bartlett, she was a bitch and the older NZers would remember her. The Homosexual Law Reform has been in force since 1986 and we have had Civil Unions from 2005. It's not exactly marriage but it's another step on the march to equality.

OK, NZ is just three very small islands in the South Pacific but we have been in the vanguard in a number of political fields, like woman's suffrage (1893 I think) Our electoral system could do with a dose of salts as a good percentage of our MP's are full of crap but that is not a problem limited to NZ

KGB:rolleyes:

20. MorphingDragon, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

There is a difference between accepting and tolerating. Tolerating still has the negative influences affecting ones thoughts, even if its not visible on the surface in public.

Oi, wanna chip Bro?

21. jeremy h, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

jeremy h macrumors 6502

Have no time for these ads and glad they aren't going to appear.

However, did think that the original Stonewall bus ads were a bit rubbish as well. They sort of just irritated me in a "Look at me - I'm the only gay in the village" type way. (Thought Stonewall could have been more thoughtful in their approach)

22. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

You know I can't grab your ghost chips! Go away.:D

KGB:rolleyes:

23. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I know the band whose members acted for that ad.

Musics good too.

24. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Very 'splatstik' a la Peter Jackson's Bad Taste I have seen a few clips of them. But of course my memories of Maori music would be Dalvanious Prime and the Patea Maori Club's "Poi E" which is now playing in the background. That was something special.

KGB:eek: (a la Maori facial)

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But it filled space between the ads, so some revenue was produced. :rolleyes: