Christian Group: Burn "Gay" Book

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 17, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- the wackos just keep coming:

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid91076.asp

More here:

http://www.ala.org/ala/alonline/currentnews/newsarchive/2009/june2009/westbendbabybebop060309.cfm

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Christian Civil Liberties sounds like the biggest oxymoron ever.

3. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I would say, as a Christian, any Christian out there to burn books is most likely not a Christian. If they are a Christian, then they are severely misguided.

A little Google on history will show that those in some countries who tried to stamp out Christianity burned Bibles. It would be terrible for Christians to do likewise which would make them the same as some Communist or Jihad groups who think that their ideology allows for it. Ironically, Christianity, Islam, or Marxism is not into burning books, so when one wants to do that, it's for a violent political gesture.

Nazis burned books in WWII. Christians who do so give Christianity a terrible name and blur the line between Christ and Hitler. This leaves a little room for some racist hate groups in the states to adopt Christianity as their religion if they decide to adopt any religion. It's a very sad repeating of history which have almost overtaken the ministry of Jesus. Some people equate Christianity with the crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, and overall hate of anybody who is considered different (gay, minority, female, liberal, etc).

I saw the "Motorcycle Diaries" the other night (great movie), and in one scene a little boy referred to the Conquistadors as "Christ, Inc." Interestingly, the Conquistadors burned every piece of literature they could get their hands on. The meso-Americans were far more scientifically advanced than the "Christian" Europeans who were stuck in the middle ages. It this type of burning of information, and banning information, which gives Christianity a black eye. Last time I checked Jesus and his band didn't pick up weapons and burn rival religious manuscripts.

Many so called Christians have to re-read their WWJD bumper stickers and reflect on the meaning.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Why is "gay" associated with "anti-christian?" I will never understand that. Its not like Gays are running about burning bibles and vomiting the souls of christian babies. Its not like Gays have an anti-christian agenda. They simply want equality.

Its like saying women suffrage is anti-christian.
    or
    Racial equality is anti-christian.

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Hmmm, I wonder how much hate has been incited and how many lives have been ruined by a book called the Bible? But I am definitely against having it banned or burned.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Have these f***wits learnt nothing from the past?

[​IMG]

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm sure the author is pretty happy right about now. The publicity this so called "christian" group is giving to this book will make it a very popular read.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Well you know they could...um...just maybe not read it if they find it so offensive. But then they wouldn't be able to garner attention for themselves.

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

There were those bigoted elements within Christianity who didn't want women to vote or minorities to have equal rights.

Sometimes a loud Christian voice/movement gets it right as in abolition, and sometimes it's a failure, such as the temperance (anti-alcohol) movement which literally gave the Mafia legs. Alcohol was largely used in most cultures in Christ's time, for various reasons, and stamping out alcohol was never a central message in Christianity. Banning gay marriage for instance, wasn't and should never be, a central Christian doctrine.

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wow. I can't believe there are people out there (in the western world) who still think burning books is a good idea.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

However, as always, we must think of the children :rolleyes: This just seems like the Christian agenda is becoming anti-Christian. :confused:

Its almost like they think that by burning a book you burn the idea. :rolleyes:

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yeah, nothing like fighting ignorance with ignorance. :rolleyes:

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I would say the Christian Right has become anti-Christian. Theologically, if we are in end times, many in the church will be led astray, and the Christian Right seems to be a good candidate for apostasy.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Totally Jacked Up! Frivolous lawsuit! It's truly sad that ignorance like this is actually believed to be what common Christians believe. Don't judge the whole by the wackos or extremist. :eek::mad:

16. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

This is like saying "We can't justify our position, back it up with a coherent argument or evidence, so we'll just destroy yours so we don't have to"

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...conversely, are extremist Muslims anti-Muslim? Or are they considered to be Muslims as well?

18. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with you but it is more than banning books; it is trying to control what people think and where they can get access to information.

I have always found the certitude of those who believe that they are divinely inspired unnerving, especially when they feel that such inspiration gives them a right to control access of others to information and legitimate life choices.

Cheers

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It's really disheartening. Here I am, having been burning bibles and vomiting the souls of Christian babies (after having eaten the babies, of course) for years without a single bit of press coverage or so much as a picket sign thrown my way.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Don;t worry- you still have plenty of time to catch up. :)

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Well, to be fair they tried, but the black all-consuming madness became a problem and the picket signs just said, "R'glf yegh kch'thryeh! MORANS"

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I think an awareness campaign is long overdue. I may be enormous and terrifying, but I have feelings too.

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well then- start making some picket signs! :D

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The low entry requirements to be a christian sure does have its downsides.