Christian militia plotted police attack in hopes of inciting anti-government uprising

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
OK- I thought I'd bring this up in a new thread.

Members of a rural Michigan-based Christian militia who believed a battle with the Antichrist was coming were plotting to attack police officers in hopes of fomenting a violent uprising against the government, federal prosecutors alleged.

Seven men and one woman believed to be part of the group called Hutaree were arrested over the weekend after raids in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. A ninth suspect was arrested Monday night after a search in southern Michigan and was expected to be arraigned Tuesday.

FBI agents moved quickly against Hutaree because its members were planning an attack sometime in April, prosecutors said. Members had been undergoing paramilitary training, including learning how to shoot guns and make bombs, since 2008, according to an indictment. Authorities seized guns in the raids but would not say whether they found explosives.

Prosecutors said the suspected Hutaree ringleader, 44-year-old David Brian Stone of Clayton, identified law enforcement officers as potential targets. He and other members discussed setting off bombs at a police funeral, using a fake 911 call to lure an officer to his death, killing an officer after a traffic stop or attacking the family of an officer, according to the indictment.

The indictment said that after the attacks, the group planned to retreat to "rally points" protected by trip-wired explosives for a violent standoff with law enforcement personnel.

"It is believed by the Hutaree that this engagement would then serve as a catalyst for a more widespread uprising against the government," it said.

FBI officials see little chance that the revelation of the alleged plot will spur other anti-government extremists to launch other violent attacks.

As it shut down Hutaree, the FBI issued a bulletin to police departments saying it has picked up Internet chatter among other militia groups — including some expressing sympathy for the suspects — but few signs of criminal copycats.

Eight Hutaree members, including Stone, appeared in federal court Monday. They were charged with seditious conspiracy — plotting to levy war against the U.S. — possessing a firearm during a crime of violence, teaching the use of explosives and attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction — homemade bombs.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-ap-us-fbi-raids,0,1469341.story

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
ha

morons, all of them. They are no different than muslim extremists blowing up our planes (or Russia's trains) because they are not happy with the way things are.

Interesting how they are trumpeting the "Christian" aspect though. I remember when Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab tried to blow up a plane, you were hard pressed to find any information regarding his faith... Was he a christian? Nope.

discuss

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Man, the Bureau has been earning it's keep in Michigan recently....
I'm surprised you didn't post this first, being in Michigan and all. :)

morons, all of them. They are no different than muslim extremists blowing up our planes (or Russia's trains) because they are not happy with the way things are.

Interesting how they are trumpeting the "Christian" aspect though. I remember when Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab tried to blow up a plane, you were hard pressed to find any information regarding his faith... Was he a christian? Nope.

discuss
The ones trumpeting it is the group itself:

http://hutaree.com/

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
Somewhere--I'm not sure where--there is a State Home for the Bewildered which is releasing inmates long before their lobotomies have actually settled in. They wind up with this sort of strange group, or with the Rev Welch or suchlike.

We had some show up in West Texas, claiming that the vote in the days of the Republic to join the Union was not a valid vote, and they were going to resurrect the original Republic of Texas. They spewed some of the most ridiculous pseudo-legal jargon you can imagine. And then, it later turned out, they'd been doing money scams. As usual, cherchez le moolah. :)

Same for the Montana Freemen. A clue about the $$$ is when they start yapping about "factoring" certificates of deposit. These are phony bank CDs, for which they try to get cash by discounting, playing on some sucker's greed. In the meantime, they divert attention by some sort of legal jargon about civil rights and strange and arcane interpretations of the meanings of the Constitution...

You gotta be seriously covered all over with weird to think that eight guys are gonna start a revolution, though.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Yeah, assuming that these claims are substantiated, this should be viewed as a terrorist organization, these people should be viewed as domestic terrorists, and they should be treated accordingly.
Agreed. In fact, as citizens I'd hold them to a higher standard.

Maybe Gitmo would be useful...

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This just overloaded my irony meter.

These government-hating terrorists have requested, wait for it..... a public defender.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=10246957
Alleged ringleader David Brian Stone is among nine Hutaree members arrested in FBI raids across the Midwest at the weekend. Each of the suspects is being held without bond and they have all requested a public defender. Bond hearings are scheduled Wednesday for 44-year-old Stone of Clayton, Michigan, and other Hutaree members.
Where do they think the public defenders come from? A magical public defender fairy in the sky?

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Their forum has been taken over by 4CHAN, it is HILARIOUS!

You notice the "evil jew" subsection. Really wish I could read that, no one tell these guys that Jesus was a Jewish carpenter.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Where do they think the public defenders come from? A magical public defender fairy in the sky?
You better not be telling me the public defender fairy isn't real. :mad: They've already taken the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy away from me. Have people no decency nor shame remaining? :mad::mad: