Christian school vandalized before anti-gay speaker’s appearance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 17, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- this is just plain shocking and wrong. I hope whoever did this comes forward. This is NOT good for the cause, folks! As much of a jerk as this guy is, everyone deserves to be heard. And vandalizing a school? That's so wrong, I don't know where to start.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...ized-before-anti-gay-speakers-appearance.html

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Weird. Andy Thayer said he doubts it was the work of gay activists, but one of the messages said "quit the homophobic s***", so i was more than likely gay activists.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Not necessarily. It probably was the work of some local gay kids. That's what I'm thinking.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

As wrong and illegal as it is to vandalize the school, i can't say i feel bad for the school. If i witnessed it i'd probably look the other way.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I wouldn't. Just think how that probably scared the kids who go there. It's not their fault that the people who run the school are jerks. That's not going to leave a very good impression on those kids regarding gay people.

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Neither is Scott Lively.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You're correct, the target should be Scott Lively, not a school.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's true. He should be arrested for conspiracy to commit murder.

9. dime21 macrumors 6502

your position is bigoted. that's no different from "looking the other way" when you see a gay person getting harassed or beaten up. you're allowing your position on an issue to cloud your judgement.

freedom of speech and freedom of religion are for everyone. not just for those whom you happen to agree with.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah it's totally different. They weren't beating anyone up, they were damaging a building. While well deserved, was still wrong. But i would agree that it clouds my moral judgement, i just can't bring myself to feel bad for the school. I mean come on, they invited a speaker who admittedly wants a certain group of people dead. They're allowing their religion to cloud their moral judgement.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Assuming everyone in the building agrees. But I doubt they do. So why damage a school? The parents should complain. Being a Christian school means it is private and private schools are mainly funded by the parents so their opinions should matter.

If everyone in the school wants to allow it then that's their issue. Let them hold a speaker in a closed private school. But don't throw bricks at buildings.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

My brain fully agrees with you, but i still probably wouldn't have called the police if i were there.

13. dime21 macrumors 6502

It isn't different at all. Both are criminal acts. A privately funded religious school has the right to decide what their own moral compass should look like. You do not have the right to decide for them.

Hopefully those who committed this crime were caught on camera and will be arrested on hate-crime charges. Because make no mistake, this was a hate-crime, no different from the KKK burning a cross in the yard of a black family's home.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That I can agree with.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What?!?! How so??? This was anything but a hate crime. They would have done the same thing if a public school had this "speaker" come in. It's not because it was a christian school. It's just that only a christian school would find it acceptable to have a bigoted wannabe killer come in as a guest speaker.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I reckon the whole "anti-gay" thing that they've got going is worse.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, I guess you wouldn't have a problem with a gay organization's building being vandalized?

What happened to that school was wrong, and if caught the perpetrators should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

18. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

Well I bet some "on the fence" homophobes are more homophobic now. Lose-lose for everyone

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

While true the last thing you want to do is hand the anti-gay idiots ammunition like this on a big bright silver platter.
    All this damage does is greatly reinforced the message Lively is delivering.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OK, here comes my paranoia:

Also possible that it was done by straights to discredit the gay community.

I realize that the idea is a little out there...

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I've been face to face with Peter LaBarbera before at rallies. He's completely insane, but I wouldn't give him credit for being that creative. The guy's just not very smart.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And we now have raison d'être. :)

Not at all. Dirty tricks are as old as politics itself.