Christian terrorists at it again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by it5five, Jul 13, 2007.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_6336193

It appears that a Christian terrorist group that is fanatically devoted to the idea of "Intelligent" Design is threatening the lives of biologists at CU-Boulder.

Of course, again, if this were a Islamic terrorist group fanatically devoted to the Koran, threatening the lives of people, this would be plastered all over the news and the Bush administration would be curtailing our rights some more.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I read the article and must have missed where they called this group "terrorists".

3. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

those who spread fear are terrorists. Islamic or not. I am sick and tired of these christian terrorists! :rolleyes:

4. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

They didn't. I did.

Christians are never terrorists in the media.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think that was kind of it5's point, yes?

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Ah, I see his angle now. I'm only just having my coffee:eek:

7. Queso macrumors G4

Switch to smoothies. The hit is quicker :)

Scramble the bombers. Let's go carpet bomb their Christianist asses!!!!

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Smoothies?

With alcohol?:confused:

Crucify them!!!

Actually, crucifixtion a doddle.

STAB them:D

9. mpw Guest

They don't get called Christians either.

In fact the texts of the letters sent are available on the web and they seem to be sent to an individual and signed by an individual. The recipient has been getting them for about a year and seems to think they're fairly pointless nonsense from some harmless nut.

In fact this person is apparently a Jew, not a Christian, but later starts quoting Christians when it supports his arguments.

The final message that sparked the story quoted was not signed by the same person, but is believed to be from the same person, and was sent to the faculty as a whole. In it he quote another Christian nut-job as saying:
    "...every true Christian should be ready and willing to take up arms to kill the enemies of Christian society..."

And then says himself:
    "...But I believe it is far more effective to take up a pen to kill the enemies of Truth..."

He has said he's written to various politicians to have the University stopped from teaching Darwinian theories and plans to start legal action.

Hardly the act of a terrorist is it?

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Carpet bombing an organization with lawyers should be classified as terrorism. ;)

11. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

mpw, can you post a link to your information? In the article on the Denver Post, the police commander said that he didn't release the name of the group (and he said group, which leads me to believe it is more than one person), so I don't know where you're getting your information or how accurate it is.

12. mpw Guest

It was in a link from here:
    http://mensnewsdaily.com/2007/07/11/evolutionary-biology-labs-at-university-of-colorado-threatened/

As for accuracy, it's the interweb:rolleyes: mixed with religion:rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

14. mpw Guest

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wow. I'm starting to think Christian terrorism is almost as rampant as Islamic terrorism. Thanks 'five! :)

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yup. Now it's just a small step until they start using explosive belts and children like the real terrorists do.

Your Kool-Aid avatar is so appropriate for this topic by the way. :)

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- you mean like the abortion clinic and gay bar bombers, just with kids. :rolleyes: Great.

18. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

From the article alone, I can just as easily conclude they are Muslims. I doubt it or that any church would willingly claim them as their own. Like non-religious people, religious people can be criminally insane too.

19. mpw Guest

That was kinda the point to my earlier post.

The OP seems to have sensationalized a media report that seems to have sensationalized a Police statement that seems to have sensationalized an event that seems more of a non-event.

While the guy in question is 'clearly' a nut job, he doesn't make any threats of violence and wants to make his challenge through the proper channels all the way to court. I'm all for free-speech and if everybody who disagrees with each other wrote letters and took each other to court I'd be happy.

20. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I wrote a paper last year about how the word 'terrorist' has been taken to mean 'Middle-Eastern nut.' Didn't source anything about non-Islamic terrorism though. Should have. But I was on a page limit. :(

Anyways, this is the problem. The media has instilled the image in the public's mind that 99.99999%, if not 100%, of the world's terrorist activities are conducted by Islamic extremists, and they conveniently forget about... well, everything else. The loose definition of terrorism is the use of "intimidation or violence for political purposes." Under this official definition, the U.S. bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima can probably be considered the most devastating act of terrorism in modern history. Under the social or perceived definition, however, that could only be true if an Islamic man dropped the bomb.

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

If you can't stick to the thread topic, please take your right-wing hate speech elsewhere.

22. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

some christian groups also sent threatening messages to the people of our congress, when they were voting for abortion

23. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I remember back when terrorists in movies were all portrayed as svelt swedes with long blond hair who never smiled . . . now its all brown guys :(

24. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Steven Segal killed them all. :)

Hey, I made a rhyme. :p

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Using children to bomb abortion clinics would be self-defeating wouldn't it?

This conversation about what a terrorist is has come up many times in this forum. And yes Christians and Muslims alike can be terrorists. But the thread title, "Christian terrorists at it again" make this event seem like an every day occurrence, which it isn't. Whereas the OP would probably never post a thread called "Islamic terrorists at it again". The regulars here often sneak their jabs in by insinuating that people like me or swarmlord only think that brown people are terrorists which is, of course, not true. Its too bad for Islam, however, that most (not all) of the terrorism in the world is committed by fundemental Islamists, and muslims are often guilty by association. What religious leaders need to do, christian or muslim or jew, is to strongly condemn these events as wrong and outside of the true spirit of their beliefs.