Christians protest Cheney

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Apr 11, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I have seen, all too often, people in this forum accuse religious type folk of toeing the administration line. I'm always surprised at how the absolute generalization demands we find exceptions while such assertions about other groups brings wrath about stereotypes.

Well, here is another exception for you. Next time you see fit to attack the group as a whole, maybe you'll show some restraint.

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

3. pdham macrumors member

While I don't necessarily agree with the tone or implication of the op, I had an article that was relevant.

I am a member of the Christian Reformed Chrurch and receive the monthly magazine for the church titled "Banner." On the copy I received last night, environmental scientist Cal Dewitt, who is a professor at the University of Wisconsin and a member of my church, was on the cover. Inside he had written an article on climate change, its reality and what the church needs to do to get involved. Below is a link to the article. It is written very simplistically as an educational tool, not a scientific discussion. But, it is a strong step in opening the eyes of the Christian community and attempting to convict them of the need for action.

http://www.thebanner.org/magazine/article.cfm?article_id=940

Still to few. But its a start.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is a seriously positive sign. Good for BYU.

However, I don't agree with the OP either in regards to generalizations. The Christian Right makes their views very loud and VERY clear. If Christians don't like that, it's incumbent on them to change it. It is not incumbent on me to look for exceptions.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im sorry good catholic get verbally abused in the rage toward fundamental christians. (which I do sincerely say so)

Im sorry good muslins get slaughtered in the war against "islamic fascists." (which is not to say the good catholic is responsible for this, but i do feel irony here)

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

WTF??? Didn't understand a single word of the confessional. :rolleyes:

7. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah I wonder what Bob Jones University is going to do now... :rolleyes:

8. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I should clarify that portion of my post. I have been adding some folks to my ignore list recently, as their posts tend to be rage filled vitrol that has little to no redeeming value, generally assailing christians or those on the right (and equating the two). It's probably not as broad as I make is sound and now that I've blocked those folks, I don't think I will see them.

I was just angry.

And remember, cougars don't cut corners! Ah! The bane of every BYU student...

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm very familiar with that emotion. Especially here in the political forum. :)

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I would hope most if not all of us would make a differentiation between Christians and the Religious Right, which are not at all the same thing. (In fact, I'd call them mutually exclusive.)

A few weeks back I took the trouble to post about an anti-war protest that was led by mainstream Christian churches. I like to see examples of Christians acting in a positive manner, instead of the negativity we always experience.

So yeah, good for BYU. Of course, the fact that conservative Christians are protesting him won't penetrate Cheney's thick head...or Bush's either.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think we do for the most part.

Darth Cheney doesn't care. He's not running for re-election. But I can't wait to see his face when George Soros doesn't give him his war bonus after his term. :) I still think there's something to Soros' buying up Halliburton stock.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Most of us do. There was even an atheist banned for his vitriolic rants. Certainly I don't blame some for feeling persecuted by the "Moral Majority", but I guess those who aren't members of the Christian Right fundamentalists might not see the difference if someone just says Christian or religious when speaking negatively of them. Especially when they don't make a distinction.

Most of us will try to though. I know I try to say neocon instead of Republican when it's the extremism. Same with referring to religious extremists. We expect the same from those who confuse terrorists with all Muslims.

Cheney sucks though, and we all know it.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Slightly OT:

You gotta love religious intolerance. Some of you may recall me mentioning we've got a roller who comes to the studio once a week to do a two-hour show where he slams everyone who doesn't believe the way he does.

So last night I'm working in the control room while someone else is directing his show, and I can hear what's he's saying. And he's talking about my branch of Christianity.

...I never knew that, as a Catholic, I believe in reincarnation, and that the pope is literally God on Earth. :rolleyes: Imagine my surprise.

I feel like such a bad Catholic now. :p

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can you say anything to this guy? Or would that be "unprofessional"? If don't think I'd have your job long if I couldn't speak my mind.

15. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

You know politics make strange bedfellows. I was raised LDS (Mormon) and my whole family is LDS. Politically the LDS church and about 90% of its members are very conservative and usually vote republican.

Here is where it gets interesting. Most born again churches see the LDS church as a cult that is not Christian. However when it comes to politics both sides gladly align for the cause.

I really do not understand why the born again Christians do that. For the LDS side it makes perfect sense. The LDS church for the last 100 years or so have been very consistent in teaching that the members of the church are to respect others beliefs and religion. This is not to say that members will not try to convert you. However, from my experience, born again Christians teach the complete opposite about the LDS church and its members - they even teach classes on why the LDS church is wrong and how to witness to a Mormon (this is not true of the LDS church, in the church they do not ever discuss why other faiths are wrong, they stick to teaching their own doctrine). Some of the material that born against put out about the LDS church is just shockingly bigoted and false (I.E. Ed Deckers 'The God Makers').

BTW its less than 10% of BYU that is protesting Cheney. I really don't see it as anything but normal for BYU. I lived in Provo for a year and Utah for 7 years and the protest is not shocking to me, I would have expected a small group of members and non-members to protest his appearance.

(In interest of full disclosure I no longer consider myself LDS even though Im technically still a member. )

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, in full disclosure I'm LDS too but not the mainstream type either... and yes, BYU is a very international school where not everyone is from Utah who goes there.

So it's good that BYU protested. And it wasn't a small number either.

17. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

International - however its very LDS international. Isn't the student body like 98% LDS? I went to USU and it was about 80% LDS but most of the international students we not LDS.

Id say 3,000 current and former students protesting at a school with 28,000 current students isn't small but it isn't large either.

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah international LDS is the same as international seriously.

Consider this: there are two types of Mormons:

Utah Mormons in the Cultural Bubble and non-Utah Mormons (more liberal)...

Of course I'm from New York originally and well, I behave like one.

How was USU BTW? I have friends there. Sorry but I went to Yale and the LDS guys there were mad crazy scientific.

19. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Im from the North West originally and Utah Mormons are well... nuts:) There is a world of difference IMO. (I think it has something to do with the majority of people in the community being LDS as opposed to a tiny tiny fraction.) I would not say that its an international school though - less than 2%?

USU- I loved it. I love Logan - I would live there if I could. The school was very diverse for having so many LDS students - the faculty was mostly non LDS. Most of my friends there we either former or never Mormons. There was also a very large GLBT presence on campus. The GLBT club on campus was the second largest (after institute of course LOL).

20. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Ah, who is to say anyways? I kinda liked Logan but most of my friends are down at the Y of course. I'm definitely the maverick here in the family ward but things are awesome. I kinda look like a duckling amongst swans :D

On the other hand, I really love being in SLC but miss NYC quite a bit. I miss the Fifth Ave. Apple Store since it's open 24/7. In the Gateway, the Apple Store closes at 9 pm which is way too early. Sad. Apart from that I really find the sushi not too bad but NYC is better in its choices.

Of course, most of my friends are Mormons and active in the Church. They are cool with me. In fact, I just reactivated one of my friends who was addicted to crystal meth, got him through his rehab program and right now he just finished his temple marriage :)

Oh well, right now I've been busy trying out how to bring my girlfriend in the US. Yoowzers, as if life wasn't hard enough.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This show is on a public access channel, so not only don't we have any control over the content, but like any other business we have to tolerate customers who are jerks.

Besides, I'm sure he's aware of what other people think. He's complained on the show about the fact that other people consider what he says hate speech.

I console myself in that realization, as well as the comments from other people I meet during the business day who ask me, "Who's the nut on your channel that does the religious show?" :D

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I find religious nuts to be rather interesting like in the human artifact museum :D

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So- do you ever wear those little black suits with the name tag? I find those unbelievably...frustrating. :)

I always enjoy it when the Mormons invade the city, running around in their cute little blacks suits. Mormon guys are HOT.

24. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

No, I never served a mission actually. I got baptized in the water after 20 years old so I was busy doing my undergrad at Vanderbilt and then worked then went to Yale.

Missionaries are cool. Although methinks you been watching too many reruns of that flick "Latter Days" haven't ya? :p

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope never saw it- It looked shi**y. I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. Once a year those guys invade Chicago. I should probably be locked up that week. :)