Christie's priorities

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Mar 19, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=aSjZwlJTW71c

So, the state has a 10.7 Billion dollar deficit, and instead of keeping the business-tax and tax on those making OVER $400,000, he's cutting property tax rebates, skipping pension contributions and reducing aid to schools, towns and higher education.

So, if I'm near retirement, living in a home I purchased, and sending my kids to school/college, I can expect that I won't get a property tax refund, my pension won't be funded, and my kids schools/colleges are going to have to make cuts to continue operating.... all so businesses and people making over 400 large can pay LESS taxes?

Seriously, this is the new face of the Republican party?

These are the policies that the right points to that will save America?

This is the guy that represented the new direction the Republican party wants to take us?

I usually try to spark a discussion without too much editorial comment when I post a new thread, but I can't with this one.

Cutting schools and pensions for lower taxes when there is a deficit to me is lunacy. It is nothing more than wealth redistribution from the average citizen to the very wealthy. Un-*****-believable.

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Sounds like the old Republican party...

Did you expect anything different?

This is why they lost the last election.

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I know you disagree with the pro-business, anti-tax, pro-growth Republican Party so let's not travel down that road since rational explanation for it will be completely lost on you. Instead let's address what incoming Governor Chris Christie is doing here and point one being the different direction from the former corrupt office occupant; i.e., not penalizing private New Jersey businesses that hire New Jersey employees. That's key. Moreover, Governor Christie is making hard choices to balance a budget (something that Democrat Jon Corzine never bothered to do):

"The plan closes a $10.7 billion deficit by suspending property-tax rebates, skipping the state’s $3 billion pension contribution and reducing aid to schools, towns and higher education."

Ending the state's deficit was foremost in voter's minds that placed the Governor in office - hard choices need be made. In any recession, taxes on corporations/private business invariably lead to high unemployment - Governor Christie is smart to avoid that trap and such wisdom will serve him well in office. Such good governance should be a model that Washington follows. Matter of fact, such honestly coming from a politician is absolutely heartwarming:

“I don’t have the money,” Christie said. “It’s just that simple.” Christie’s plan for the fiscal year that begins July 1, which includes $28.3 billion in state spending and $1 billion in federal aid, is 9 percent lower than the current budget. In a 50-minute speech yesterday in Trenton, he said he’d veto any tax increase."

Cutting almost 10% of the state budget is a great start and Governor Christie is well on his way toward turning New Jersey around and I salute his efforts here. Respect for taxpayer funds is a model of good governance. Respect for businesses that hire New Jersey residents is good policy. Let us hope the Governor's plan passes the Democrat-controlled Legislature in New Jersey so the Governor can return New Jersey to firm fiscal footing.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

^^^ I feel I just read a press release from the governor's office.

5. Queso macrumors G4

That's because IntheNet is employed by the GOP to trawl web-forums and post this stuff.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Either that or he is unemployed or retired and has nothing else to do. The dude is using italics and underline.

He should write for a newspaper, even though I disagree with many of his view. :eek:

7. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Why wouldn't you make the same wrong allegation against the thread starter being employed by the DNC?

8. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, ITN, he's making tough choices. He's choosing corporations and people who make $400,000 per year over every other citizen of his state.

As for your comment that a discusson of "trick-down" economics would be lost on me, I beg to differ.

I'm a tax lawyer. I have education and experience in the field.

I've asked you for your education/experience/background, and you have never answered me.

So, I think the truth is you don't understand, and any explanation is in fact lost on you.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Because whilst I gave you the benefit of the doubt for a long time it has now become quite obvious.

Deny it if there's no truth to it.

10. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Well, I've been pretty open about what I do for a living. I have a job that does not involve the DNC.

How 'bout you?

11. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I operate a business. I have education and experience in the field.

12. Queso macrumors G4

And does this business have the GOP as a client perchance?

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think mcrain meant the TAX field. Do you mean you have education and experience in the BUSINESS field correct? Unless you are running an H&R Block.

14. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Out of curiosity, are you incorporated, or do you elect to be taxed as a corporation? I ask because of the thread topic, not to go off topic. (A side question is do you offer health care insurance for your employees?)

Believe me, I understand the frustrations of running a small business. The taxes, and expenses are crazy. I'm happy to have a gig where I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Like all governments, he will need to do both to get back to a balanced budget. At the moment he is playing defense as he has to keep the businesses and their high roller owners in the state to keep the employment levels higher than his neighbors (or as high as he can). Once the neighboring states, particularly NY, start raising taxes, NJ will have room to follow.

16. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

That's a good point I didn't consider. Here in the midwest, our economies are very different than those of states neighboring NY or other big biz east-coast states.

(edit) If I worked for the DNC, I would have spouted out a bunch of talking points, instead, I am admitting that I hadn't considered a good point.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The problem is that the political parties don't have the will to do both.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Those that are keen fisherman.

19. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

80% of America is still waiting for some of that trickle down effect.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Lowering taxes on businesses and cutting excess spending... sounds like a plan. The problem with cuts to education is that none of them happen on the administrative side (where all the lazy money blackhole *******s reside) where they should be, instead they close departments and fire teachers.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What percentage of the US education budget is spent on administration?

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't have any direct statistics but the articles are everywhere, example:

http://www.educationreport.org/pubs/mer/article.aspx?id=4366

Anyone who has worked for a school sees this stuff all the time also. With the introduction of computer systems alot of administrative jobs should have got **** canned, yet for some reason they are still there.

23. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Another question... when I was growing up we had gradeschool class sizes around 15-20, now the classes are around 30 kids or more.

Have the budgets increased at the same rate as population?
    Have the budgets increased at the same rate as inflation/dollar value?
    Have the budgets increased to reflect additional costs of necessary equipment/property/electronics?

If not, then the failing is the financing, not the lazy administrators who are trying to do more with less.

24. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Can't believe I am saying this but Zombie is absolutely right about education cuts.

They always come out of the teachers salaries and programs for the kids.

In all fairness though, I don't think administrators get paid too much, however teachers get paid too little.

25. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Our education budget should be tripled, quadrupled if not a lot more. It's a joke we pay the people who train our future doctors as little as we do. It's no wonder that education has a difficult time attracting the best and brightest to become our future teachers.

But, Christie is cutting education to fund tax cuts!!!!!

(edit) This is not a matter of choosing one program vs. another, this is choosing giving money to corporations and wealthy tax payers instead of using it for education.

(edit2) If this was about the deficit, he could keep the taxes and cut spending on education. It's not, it's about taking money from people who rely on pensions, real estate refunds, and kids so that corporations can make more money, and the people who make over $400,000 can make even more.