Christmas Quality, Hanukkah Pricing!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Nov 22, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Do you guys think this ad is offensive?
    I think it's outrageous. It reenforces a very ugly stereotype about Jews, and you don't have to be Jewish to find anti-semitism offensive. Of course the Jewish guy responsible for the ad feels differently, but it doesn't make it any better.

Link

Attached Files:

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's about time a light was shone on the War on Hannukah.

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

A joke in bad taste, sure. But a proof of jew-hate?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I like "Job Killing War on Hannukah" personally. :D

As a general principle, I think it's okay for individuals who are part of a minority or sub-segment of the population to make fun of themselves. I don't think it's the same as when someone not a part of the group does it. But the ad I guess is different in that most people probably have no idea it was promulgated by a Jew.

6. renewed, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

It's no more offensive than taking Christ out of Christmas with Xmas or the hoards of forum members on here that mock the religious aspect of the holiday.

You have the right to think that Christians are wing nuts that believe in a magical man and they have the right to believe that Jews are a no frills group and compare their packaging and the jews' holiday to their vodka.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this my excuse to post this in this thread?

[​IMG]

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Might as well. We are due for another bashing Christianity thread. :rolleyes:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think some Christians are idiots but I don't have much against Christ or the Bible....

(I also didn't know there was Jewish Vodka)

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Is this a jab at the old "Jews are penny-pinchers" stereotype? If it is, I can see how that might be offensive to some.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yup, someone has a bad sense of humor. Inappropriate indeed.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

It wasn't a finger pointed at you. I'm just talking in general. Threads upon threads of bashing Christians, yet someone makes an ad that is slightly off color about Jews and the same people come to comment on how "in bad taste and ugly" it is. :rolleyes:

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

14. renewed, Nov 22, 2011

renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The manufacturer, upon research, looks to be Polish. I think upwards of 98% of Poland is Roman Catholic.

Upon further research it is 94% with around 75% practicing.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's because we're full of hate, bro. :p

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah the God we follow died for everyone in the world, including the ones who bash Him on the daily, but WE are the haters. :p

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Harbouring a supernatural delusion is bad enough, but projecting it onto others is another thing altogether.

18. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The difference is when people bash Christians its usually about their religion, when people bash Jews it's usually personal, money, greed, noses, etc.

19. renewed, Nov 22, 2011

renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Trust me, I know. ;)

And it's just like this. You can't even avoid using the word delusional for one thread. Your statement isn't even on topic.

But I think that makes that your 500th post about something wrong with Christians...

Here's a bottle of Wodka!

[​IMG]

----------

Oh okay. But you have to understand that even though Christianity is a belief and a Jew can be so by religion or by birth it's no different. You are still insulting and insinuating a certain profile for a group of people.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I didn't really get that until now. I guess it's offensive, but you have to unpack a lot to get there.

If someone uses their belief as an aegis to do or say terrible things, they should answer for it, but I don't believe they should be attacked because of their religion.

21. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Don't see much wrong with the ad personally. It's pushing the line, but doesn't cross it in my opinion.

Can't believe it's nearly Christmas already, my favourite time of year. Just wish all the Christians would stop trying to steal it for themselves. :D

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

honestly i didn't get it ... even with the explanation why they choose this ads..
    not that it's clear why it is offensive

they should their lesson from the german Wodka Gorbatschow ads .. they used the very same slogan (and sometimes even the same voice over ) since 2-3 decades and those images of vodka being poured over ice cubes are instantly connected in my brain with those phrases

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Oh, I know - we're just plain awful! :rolleyes:

24. .Andy, Nov 22, 2011

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Alternatively if someone puts their beliefs out in the public domain they have no right to call others out for challenging those beliefs. If they can't handle scrutiny or defend their position then it speaks volumes of the strength of their belief.

Never saiid you were awful. Your supernatural beliefs might be considered "awful" in the sense that they are irrational. What is definitely awful is the supernaturalist's ingrained method of running and hiding when their beliefs are challenged behind the "don't attack me" facade when ther beliefs are what is being challenged.

I have every respect for your right to believe what you believe. However I do not (and have no onus) to respect your beliefs - the same for anyone who claims the supernatural.

25. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Is this an ad hominem attack against someone because they are religious? I ask non-rhetorically, because I don't know. Just curious. Thanks.