Christopher Columbus XX: Hey America, my ancestor didn't cause your failings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shyam09, Oct 9, 2017.

1. shyam09, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

And give outrage culture one less thing to be faux-angry about? Not a chance.

5. niploteksi macrumors regular

Columbus didn't discover America :) All lies.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Good discoverers copy, great discoverers steal! :)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    Well - then I propose to change it to “Che Guevara’s execution day”

7. bradl, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Can you do me a favour? Can you list a time when your ancestors were raped or killed by someone of a different skin colour or nationality than yours?

No..? Didn't think so.

Additionally, if he indeed is the descendant of Columbus, he may want to spend more time working on the remaining legacy of his ancestor than dig into the quagmire of politics here. Columbus isn't even recognized for a damned thing in his home country of Italy, and Spain has nothing to do with him. Columbus returned a broken down, penniless shell of a man, who was arrested and thrown in jail along with his brothers. And instead of dying a rich old man, actually died of STDs, which none of those came from anyone in the Americas.

So the question again is being asked: Why are we celebrating a man who did nothing but rape, plunder, and torture people of the new world here, as well as brought them famine and disease, which ran rampant throughout two different continents?

Oh wait, that's right.. we got the answer from someone previously here:

:rolleyes:

8. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Not for nothing, but Columbus didn't even land on the North American continent.

Amerigo Vespucci was the first guy (in historical memory, at least) to designate the Americas as completely separate from Eurasia and Africa. Funny how we named two continents and a country after the guy and yet we celebrate the date Columbus discovered the Bahamas.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Do we forget that Columbus was a horrible navigator and through he was at India.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

On the positive side of things, more and more cities have dropped Columbus day for Indigenous People's day. I saw this shirt worn by different people yesterday:

[​IMG]

Faux outrage, indeed.

BL.

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

To be fair, the Bahamas are pretty nice. ;)

12. ItnStln Suspended

I can, what's your point?

13. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Too much focus is given to this crap, none of which is going to improve anybody’s present or future unless somebody thinks guilt is the new bitcoin.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’m not sure if Columbus should even get credit, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15040888.

But I also think the move is not so much to call Columbus evil, but to stop celebrating the invasion of North America by Europeans which although created a “great” country, also signaled a calamity and wholesale death and murder for Native American culture and populations.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My point: we natives were here first, and those whose ancestors came over from Europe want to celebrate a man who made it here by mistake (he knowingly admitted he was lost), brought famine and disease, raped and slaughtered people here (that is from firsthand accounts from his own people), and a person here wants to claim that this is "faux outrage". Columbus was a disgrace to not only his own people in Italy, but Spain as well. Neither of them recognize the man.

But I'll put it this way. If Trump supporters want America for Americans, why are we dedicating a day to a European?

BL.

16. jdillings macrumors 68000

Can we rename Christmas and do away with Santa Claus too? When I was 8, he didn't give the bike I asked for.

17. chown33 macrumors 604

I got your bike. Santa told me you were goofing off way too much that year.

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, great. Except....thats now how it went. If the indigenous poeple still ran the the place we'd be eating mushrooms dancing around fires all day. Instead, we have like technology, an economy, nice houses, cars, ya know..... desireable stuff?

Sorry. We saw, we conquered, we made out great. It is what it is.

19. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Well tbh, “we” didn’t do anything. The world was quite a different place back then. Even the natives were killing each other and taking each other’s Land.

20. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I support abolishing Columbus Day for no other reason than to stop it from interfering with my garbage pick up schedule. :mad:

21. ItnStln Suspended

My ancestors were native you're not telling me anything I don't know.

22. yaxomoxay, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Italians are not happy about this outrage, they want to keep Columbus as a figure of an explorer who dared when everyone was against him.
    Just one point, although it’s true that he somewhat got lost, the feat was not simply that he landed in the new continent of which he was unaware of (he thought he was in the Indies... not India). The feat that he was able to land, go back to Europe, and come back again, and again. Horrible governor, and yes, a sadistic one (not that other governors back then were saints), but nothing can be said of his adventure spirit.
    You also have to realize that Spain did not want to find a new continent. Spain was interested in commerce with the established states and territories in the indies. A new territory to settle was totally useless to them, that’s why Columbus forced the hand by saying that it was full of gold; he wanted to prove that the new territory was a good investment (which it wasn’t). This also explains why later on all the various conquistadores, from Coronado to Cabeza de Vaca were so relentless in their search.

23. ItnStln Suspended

In the words of hillary clinton "what difference at this point does it make?"

24. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Nevermind Santa, the Easter Bunny has to go. That fool brings eggs as gifts. What the hell am I supposed to do with a basket full of eggs?