Chuck Schumer Refuses to Endorse Medicare for All

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 17, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://truthout.org/articles/chuck-schumer-refuses-to-endorse-medicare-for-all/
    https://truthout.org/articles/chuck-schumer-refuses-to-endorse-medicare-for-all/

https://www.peoplesworld.org/articl...with-dem-leaders-silence-on-medicare-for-all/

https://www.axios.com/medicare-for-...ion-d9f08a30-55fb-4d9f-8185-58ef86a6c58e.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...3f7ee4035c9_story.html?utm_term=.10eff05c4b62

democrats are sellouts to the insurance industry.................

2. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Yup, centrist Democrats are wholly owned by big money. Can’t wait for Biden/Beto/etc to be elected to do the same exact thing.

3. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

Okay, cool. Let's see what the alternative is. And hopefully it'll pass with bipartisan support and move the country forward.

I'm not playing the all-or-nothing game like I did in 2016. Look where that got us. (I did end up voting for Hillary...)

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Right, just Democrats. If they were only like the beacon of light for refusing to take money from insurance companies as Republicans. We can only strive.

Just Democrats, folks.

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I look forward to the day we get rid of fee for service payment.
    Insurance should be used to cover only high cost or rare events.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Nope. Being sellouts is incredibly bipartisan.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Selling out is definitely bipartisan, but who you sell out to matters as well. In my opinion only, the complete sellout of the Republican party to fossil fuel and gun interests is the biggest problem in the world today.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

there are not many republicans who support single payer or "socialized" care..............not "true" ones anyways......

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

All Republicans. I could read his post either way.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Start with who pays and how much we pay then work from there. I'm all ears but even Bernie and the psycho from queens can't tell anyone. Don't sit there and sell a pie in the sky plan and then worry how to pay for it after the fact. I also worry about handing the government another political third rail they'd be too afraid to reform, like medicare and SS.

13. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Hence the definition of insurance. Me paying the insurance company to pay my Dr. for an annual exam is not insurance.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2018 ---
    Sure she did. She said "you just pay for it."

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

English AND Spanish?? sweet :D
    I doubt I will see single payer in my lifetime, GLAD the mandate is gone, SAD trump is hellbent of just getting rid of ACA w/o having something in place that protects people.:(
    we have far too many issues in this country that go beyond the corruption of the 2 major crap houses, 90-95% of ambulance chasing lawyers (+10%-0%) should be at the bottom of the ocean w/o scuba gear counting fish, because stupid never ending lawsuits drive up cost for everyone , we pay for those lawsuits in higher premiums and HC cost.

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

...lawsuits are not the main driver of healthcare costs. The system being for profit, and therefore shareholder demand to maximize profits at all costs are the part of it.

We can't piddle around the edges without ripping out the core logic of the system itself.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

agree they are not the main driver.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Insurance company greed is the main driver, a close second is the defensive medicine being practiced in order to not miss anything and subsequently get sued. Most doctors simply don't want anything bad to happen to their patients so they try extremely hard not to potentially miss anything. The third is the patients themselves are driving up the cost over EVERYTHING.