Church Militant claims God gave his mother cancer so that he would stop being gay

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/church-militant-claims-god-gave-his-mother-cancer-so-that-he-would-stop-being-gay/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=im&utm_tracker=1737131x84899

The Church Militant has posted a new video in which he thanks God for giving his mother stomach cancer and dying so that he would be brought back to the Catholic Church. Michael Voris, president and founder of St. Michael’s Media and producer of the website Church Militant, took to YouTube to reveal details of the sinful life he lived prior to his “reversion” to Catholicism.

He was posting the video now, he said, because there were forces seeking to “publicly discredit me, the apostalate, and my work here.” He says that he had always publicly spoken of his life prior to his reversion as a time in which he was living in “mortal sin.” He just hadn’t thought that “a full public confession of details was necessary.”

Voris is not outing himself as a gay man. He denies being gay. He does say, however, that “..most of my thirties, confused about my own sexuality, I lived a life of live-in relationships with homosexual men.” And he is aware of how that looks. “From the oustide, I lived the lifestyle and contributed to the scandal in addition to the sexual sins. On the inside, I was deeply conflicted about all of it.” He says that in his twenties, he slept with both men and women.

He now abhors all of that behavior, which he says was about “seeking solace in lust and surrendering my masculinity.” While Voris seems confused about the relationship between sexuality and gender, he is positive that it was his mother who became the instrument of God’s grace.

“As a last resort, she prayed to be given whatever suffering so that I would be granted sufficient grace to revert.” And, shortly after her prayers, she received an early diagnosis of stomach cancer, which killed her a few years later. It was while watching his mother suffer through her last year of life that Voris began to change his life, but it was her death that made the miracle happen.

“I pledged at her coffin that I would change. I said, ‘Mom, what you went through for me, you will not have gone through in vain.’ I returned fully and completely to the faith.” Two years later, he says, he founded the apostolate that he is now trying to save.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
He is silly child who doesn't believe in"free will"! Life is a test if you choose God or not!
I almost gave you a thumbs up for the last part, but the first part neutralizes it, if you are saying hetro or homo is part of free will.
[doublepost=1461850547][/doublepost]
The illness called religion...

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
He sounds like a person I once knew, who did everything except go back to the religion that he was brought up with but will likely die from alcoholism and/or AIDS. At least the ex doesn't fit the Catholic stereotype of molesting children.

I almost gave you a thumbs up for the last part, but the first part neutralizes it, if you are saying hetro or homo is part of free will.
[doublepost=1461850547][/doublepost]

The illness called religion...

Not quite. Everyone has sexual attraction to either or both genders. How and what one does with those sexual feelings is the choice. One can be loyal and true to a person and not hurt them emotionally or physically (STDs, yo...), or one can cheat and be a sleaze and just say "Well, I've got this but I can pop a bunch of pills every day and it won't be any worse and I don't need to tell anyone I want to 'love' because they will never get it and I can still go out and be with anyone because medicine interactions or viral adaptation to them will never ever happen!!" (And some of those people, who really think that, also happen to be in the medical profession despite the amount of evidence proving them utterly wrong... narcissistic psychopaths...)

And that's the point - one needn't have religion. Even the nonreligious forget that. There are many religions, almost all of them spin words to say theirs is the only true religion or that religion (the "real" one) is an absolute to have morals, but "moral" is just "ethics" without the religious connotation.

I'm bi. I refuse to date men after how I'd been treated in the past and cheated on. I tell people upfront. They can live with their own stereotypes. I've never cheated, but fail to see how bi people are more likely to cheat, considering that heteros seem to cheat all the time and there are more of them that would willingly cheat with a straight person than a bi person, and most gay people (a populace of maybe 5~10% the national whole) don't want to marry and say they want the law just so they can be seen as first class citizens while still porking anyone else because marriage is "heteronormative and unevolved"-- I ought to write a book going into much detail except the religious wouldn't know whether to welcome me or exploit me, and I'd rather be an ally... Either way, both sides miss out on so much context with their petty civil war that it doesn't matter if they actually know why they have a belief, it's reduced to nothing more than an idiotic circus sideshow that's so "paint by numbers" because nobody has the time for critical or any other form of thinking...

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
He sounds like a person I once knew, who did everything except go back to the religion that he was brought up with but will likely die from alcoholism and/or AIDS. At least the ex doesn't fit the Catholic stereotype of molesting children.

Not quite. Everyone has sexual attraction to either or both genders. How and what one does with those sexual feelings is the choice. One can be loyal and true to a person and not hurt them emotionally or physically (STDs, yo...), or one can cheat and be a sleaze and just say "Well, I've got this but I can pop a bunch of pills every day and it won't be any worse and I don't need to tell anyone I want to 'love' because they will never get it and I can still go out and be with anyone because medicine interactions or viral adaptation to them will never ever happen!!" (And some of those people, who really think that, also happen to be in the medical profession despite the amount of evidence proving them utterly wrong... narcissistic psychopaths...)

And that's the point - one needn't have religion. Even the nonreligious forget that. There are many religions, almost all of them spin words to say theirs is the only true religion or that religion (the "real" one) is an absolute to have morals, but "moral" is just "ethics" without the religious connotation.

I'm bi. I refuse to date men after how I'd been treated in the past and cheated on. I tell people upfront. They can live with their own stereotypes. I've never cheated, but fail to see how bi people are more likely to cheat, considering that heteros seem to cheat all the time and there are more of them that would willingly cheat with a straight person than a bi person, and most gay people (a populace of maybe 5~10% the national whole) don't want to marry and say they want the law just so they can be seen as first class citizens while still porking anyone else because marriage is "heteronormative and unevolved"-- I ought to write a book going into much detail except the religious wouldn't know whether to welcome me or exploit me, and I'd rather be an ally... Either way, both sides miss out on so much context with their petty civil war that it doesn't matter if they actually know why they have a belief, it's reduced to nothing more than an idiotic circus sideshow that's so "paint by numbers" because nobody has the time for critical or any other form of thinking...
Interesting post, however my point remains, when it comes to sexual attraction I don't believe we have free will. If you are bi that's not a choice or represents free will, that is how you were created. Same it you are attracted to a single sex, this is not an intellectual,choice, but who you are. Based on you religious comment, can I assume that you don't believe a therapist could change you exclusively into a hetrosexual?