Churchgoers more likely to back torture

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jecapaga, Apr 30, 2009.

1. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

"White evangelical Protestants were the religious group most likely to say torture is often or sometimes justified -- more than six in 10 supported it. People unaffiliated with any religious organization were least likely to back it. Only four in 10 of them did."

This doesn't surprise me in the least. White evangelical protestants seem to believe in it the most..no shocker there.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/30/religion.torture/index.html

2. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, lemme get this straight:

Jesus: man of peace...

His enemies: practitioners of crowning with thorns, scourging at pillars, and crucifixion.

And these evangelicals think they're they're followers of Jesus...........

[brain explodes from irony overload]

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've known that for ages.

The bloody pews they make you sit in just get you warmed up to the idea.

Glad I stopped that nonsense years ago. I love spending my Sundays in bed or at the beach sipping a coffee and watching the ocean. Much nicer than bolt upright singing dirges to imaginary people.

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Cue the apologist religious types saying "Well - these people are not doing what God/Jesus etc wants"

Despite the fact that those same religious types have spent several days telling us that 'God' makes himself apparent to us as much as he wants. Thus, God is failing to make himself properly apparent to these people and is thus condoning a position that approves of torture.

Not surprising, the 'Word of God' promotes torture in many places.

6. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

7. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I'm a churchgoer. I don't back torture at all.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What's your point? 6 in 10 churchgoers support torture. You're one of the 4 in 10 that doesn't. Congratulations. But the point is, a majority of churchgoers (you know, the ones that are supposed to follow the bible and love thy neighbor and all that crap) do support it and are hypocrites.

9. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

+1
    this sunday morning i plan on building sandcastles on the beach with my 6yo boy. I may even take your advice and bring a sippy of coffee :)

If that sends me to hell then so be it.

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

This is truly disgraceful and unfortunately not much of a surprise. :(

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Somewhat surprising. I'm surprised it was only 6 in 10. I would have expected 8 in 10.

Instead of posting useless words, why don't you explain why this is so?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let the persecution complex begin!

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This should be cross referenced with the thread arguing that without a belief in god there can be no basis for morality.

14. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I'm actually a little surprised it is that high. It could be that my affiliations are with a different group of people that do not believe torture is justified in any situation.

The 60% who think it's ok would be the same 60% of religious people who wanted Jesus dead in the first place...

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Zing! That stings. :)

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The saddest statistic in that bunch is that only 25% of the population said that torture should never be used leaving a whipping 75% giving some justification to torture.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I suspect that has a good deal to do with how the question is asked. In this case it was "Do you think the use of torture against suspected terrorists in order to gain important information can often be justified, sometimes be justified, rarely be justified, or never be justified?", which presupposes that torture will provide important information.

If you asked "Do you think the use of torture against prisoners in an attempt to extract information of uncertain quality can often be considered legal, sometimes be considered legal, rarely be considered legal, or never be considered legal?", I suspect the numbers would shift more than just a little.

18. suburbia macrumors 6502

Exactly what I was thinking! Evangelists are really scary types.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im an non-believer and I think its perfectly fine to extract information from terrorists to save American lives as long as they are known terrorists, refuse to give information when lesser techniques are used, and the techniques used are below the line which I would consider torture.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not all of them.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But apparently too many of them.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

IOW, you would torture. You might as well just come out and say it.

Sure, you wouldn't flay people alive, or set fire to genitalia, or cut off limbs with no anesthesia, but you'd employ other recognized forms of torture.

23. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

24. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I don't support torture, but if you look at the bottom of the article it said this:

I'm a lutheran...so I guess I kinda fit in with the stats.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure, but let's not get too broad of a brush out here.

And like I said, I suspect this question skews support to the high end. If you've got someone in front of you that you know has the key to the ticking time bomb, would you torture them if the torture guaranteed you the answer? That's basically what this question was asking. Hell, in that situation I probably would do it, and then take my chances with a sympathetic jury.

But that's the rub with torture: A. You're not likely to ever have the situation arise, B. If it does, there is almost no chance that a jury would convict you, and C. Even if you did wind up in jail over it, it would have been worth it. Plus you'd be a hero.