CIA Man Who Claimed Water Boarding Worked: I Wasn't Actually There

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hulugu, Jan 28, 2010.

1. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

According to Foreign Policy magazine, John Kiriakou, who discussed the water boarding of Abu Zubaydah with ABC journalist Brian Ross on a widely-discussed interview in 2007, now admits what he claimed was first-hand knowledge was actually garnered from reading reports.

From the article:

2. 184550 Guest

And this changes what? :confused:

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just erodes more of the "torture works!" mindsets credibility, which wasn't there to begin with.

4. 184550 Guest

So just because this liar wasn't there means alternative interrogation techniques don't work?

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, we already KNOW they don't work. Logic alone tells you that anyone will say anything, whether its true or not, to escape being tortured. Not to mention we have high ranking officials on record that have shown you tend to get a lot of info, but its wrong or just lies to stop the torture.

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Does re-branding torture make it's use easier to swallow?

7. 184550 Guest

We can call it what ever you want to. If you've read any of my previous posts on simliar topics you would know that I think that the US should not eliminate any techniques that could contribute to national security.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And when the fact that we use torture helps fuel hatred of the US is brought up......

9. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I think the point here, Muttley, is that they don't.

10. 184550 Guest

Oh well. You can't please everyone. Show me one country that has never used a form of torture and I'll show you a liar.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What does that have to do with the fact that torture is worthless when it comes to obtaining information?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, the "I did it because they do it" approach. :rolleyes:

13. 184550 Guest

So you're saying that torture in any form at anytime in history has never produced any actionable information?

Go read a book and get back me on that claim. :rolleyes:

14. 184550 Guest

Ah, you still didn't prove that torture isn't useful. :rolleyes:

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So we are supposed to just go around torturing people hoping that the info they give aren't lies. How do we even know who has information, and what information?

There is a whole lot of fallacies in the whole process of torture, thats the problem (seeing as you people seem to not give a **** about the whole inhumane part of it....).

16. 184550 Guest

If torturing someone produces nine fallacies and one truth, it is still worth it because you still get that one truth.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

But you have to act on all of them to find out which is which. That's a considerable waste of time.

Plus, I bet you don't have any proof or anything else in support of an approximate 10% success rate with torture.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Quite a hypothetical you've constructed here. Presumably one could do more torturing to find out which of the ten is "the truth". Perhaps the single "truth" uncovered by torture is that it's pathetically unproductive, an affront to human dignity and rights, and support for it is driven wholly by cowardice.

19. 184550 Guest

Hence the 'If' at the start of that hypothetical.

Then perhaps these people should not be participating in the types of activities that make torture productive.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What about the people we've imprisoned essentially for being Middle Eastern? We've locked up people who we KNOW weren't even soldiers, just scooped up off the streets. I know it this will fall on deaf ears simply because of how you speak of them.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What "types of activities" are these hypothetical individuals participating in make torture more productive?

22. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You've made a claim, and thus the burden of proof is on you. Additionally, telling me to "read a book" does not suffice as evidence.
    For someone who claims to be well read, this is a pretty significant mis-step. There are plenty of examples of people being rendered and tortured without participating in any "activities" that would make torture productive, such as Maher Arar. Unless of course freedom of association only includes people who are white.

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You know, walking down the street in a market in ______ (insert country other than US). :rolleyes:

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Lets see the reports that he saw and we will know for sure. This doesn't change the fact that we may have got the information.

25. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

So no concerns whatsoever that these guys making these claims were making stuff up when they were telling us about them? :confused: