Cilantro: yea or nay?

Cowboy Dan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
San Diego
OK, so I'm doing a bit of research and I want to know what you people think about cilantro. Cilantro the herb.

I've put up a poll here.

I know people have some strong opinions about the stuff, so please take a second to let me know what you think!

For those of you that aren't sure, cilantro is the same thing as coriander and is sometimes called Chinese parsley.

It looks like this:

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
A must for salsa, queso, and other forms of Tex-Mex!

I just talked to my wife 5 minutes ago about putting some on chalupas tonight!

Iguanas go nuts for the stuff as well....FYI

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
good stuff and I use it often.

One interesting thing is that the dried cilantro never, ever tastes the same or as good as fresh - odd, since most other spices/herbs retain some of the fresh flavor. Anyone know why?

D

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
Cowboy Dan said:
I know people have some strong opinions about the stuff, so please take a second to let me know what you think!
Great Herbed Howler Monkeys You're right! People do have strong opinions about cilantro. I never would have thought.
I like it. Great in fresh salsa.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
Mr. Anderson said:

One interesting thing is that the dried cilantro never, ever tastes the same or as good as fresh - odd, since most other spices/herbs retain some of the fresh flavor. Anyone know why?

D
Holy Dried Douroucoulis! I think many dried herbs lose some of their flavor as they age. So it might depend on how long the dried cilantro has been sitting on the store shelves.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
actually, nevermind dried, i notice that cilantro that's a few days old or been washed a few times already lose that strong and lovely smell...

nothing beats fresh cilantro! hmm...

Applespider

macrumors G4
Known as coriander on this side of the pond...

And I'll cast a 'nay' - I don't mind a little in salsa etc but I loathe heavy handed portions tossed into salads and soups willynilly.

Who knows tho it might be because even the fresh stuff over here looks like it got picked a week ago...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I checked with my wife. She said that she isn't a real fan. She has tried food that contained Cilantro and like the taste. Her concern about using Cilantro in her cooking is know about the freshness.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Being a free response poll people will be more likely to vote that they like it a lot because they feel strongly about it.

Personally, I think it is very nasty.

scem0

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I love it!!!

It's great in salads, on eggs, and salsa of course. It also acts as a chelator and helps in the removal of heavy metals (lead, mercury, etc) from the body.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Mr. Anderson said:

D
Well all dried herbs lose potency during the drying process. If you've ever used fresh thyme vs dried you'll notice a similar decrease in flavor.

With some herbs you can reinvigorate their flavors by gently heating them in a dry frying pan before use. Doesn't work too well with green herbs unfortunately but it will work with many other types.

Around here cilantro is the name for the fresh bunch of the herb, coriander is what the seeds and the ground powder from the seeds is labeled in my spice cabinet. And I'm pretty lucky being where I am, I can almost always go to the local farmers markets and pick up fresh stuff (not just cilantro) that was picked within the last 24 to 48 hours. Heck, I drive past fields every day on my way to my house. They're full of lettuce and cauliflower right now since it's winter though. If I want a salad I can walk down the road and grab one of the heads of lettuce that fell off the truck on it's way out! :D

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Funny thing - I don't remember ever conciously eating it, and knowing it's there...funny thing because everyone has an opinion about it. I'll have to ask around and try some. :)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
LOVE cilantro - I use it in many meals - breakfasts, lunch salads, dinners - love it. I do know many friend who hate it so I have to be wary of serving it in anything at parties.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
mactastic said:
I love it, but I hear there is a gene that determines whether you can stand cilantro.
Yeah, I know someone who can't stand it. He says it tastes just like soap and can't stand eating even a tiny bit, and he said something about the genetic aspect as well. Personally I love the stuff, you can't have great Thai food without it, or ceviche.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
scem0 said:
Being a free response poll people will be more likely to vote that they like it a lot because they feel strongly about it.

Personally, I think it is very nasty.

scem0
You might like it along with your Ramen Noodles though. ;) Have you actually tried some of the fresh.

My wife tries to cook from scratch using fresh vegetable and herbs. Then you get a fresher and more nutritious taste.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
It's a distinct flavor that people like or dislike, seldom in between. I love it, and experienced it first in Mexico years ago not knowing what that flavorful green plant was on the rolled taco. I've been a fan ever since.