Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi,
A friend brought over his ThinkPad with a Port Replicator II (PRII) to see if he could hook it up to my 20" Cinema Display. He loves mine and wants to get one for himself. There is a port on the back of the PRII that takes the ?ADC or DVI which ever it is called, plug. I have a DVI to ADC adapter for the Mac. I have it plugged into a 15" TiBook.
Anyway, when he plugs it in, nothing happens. He can't bring up the monitor at all. We tried shutting everything down and doing a cold reboot, and he couldn't even get the ThinkPad to boot. When we unplugged the Cinema Display and replugged in a standard monitor to the "regular" video plug, everything worked fine. Is it that you just can't mix Apples and oranges??? So to speak<g>??

Frank

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi,

>>Assuming that he's running on WinXP Pro, he probably need drivers to use the Cinema or a hack.<<

It's XP Pro. He wasn't happy. He may start looking for drivers. He loves the monitor<g>.

Frank

g4pismo

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta
Depending on what thinkpad you have, the DVI port may not be active. The PR's usually work for an entire series (t20-t40). It may also have an inactive FireWire port on it as well...

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Not active. That's one I've not thought about. I'll have to check that one out.

Frank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.