Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
So I set up Yosemite and was installing all the essentials I use. Finally I used Chameleon SSD Optimizer to enable trim, disable sleep image/sudden motion sensor etc. I restarted and got the Circle with slash sign.

I tried booting with every different mode I could...pram, smc etc. I had no luck and had to restore from time machine. This has happened back with DP1 and ever since that, I stuck with Mavericks instead.

My concern is how do I avoid this? Should I not enable trim at all?
I'm using a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB. (one firmware behind the latest, but that is not the cause of the issue).

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
I don't think Chameleon has been updated yet.

http://www.cindori.org/trim-in-os-x-yosemite/

Disable trim following the instructions there. Trim Enabler flips a switch that enables modified kernel extensions if you still want to use trim with a non-Apple SSD.

Oh, and if your disk name has a space you type the commands with the name in double quotes like this:
rm -rf /Volumes/"Macintosh HD"/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
So I set up Yosemite and was installing all the essentials I use. Finally I used Chameleon SSD Optimizer to enable trim, disable sleep image/sudden motion sensor etc. I restarted and got the Circle with slash sign.

I tried booting with every different mode I could...pram, smc etc. I had no luck and had to restore from time machine. This has happened back with DP1 and ever since that, I stuck with Mavericks instead.

My concern is how do I avoid this? Should I not enable trim at all?
I'm using a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB. (one firmware behind the latest, but that is not the cause of the issue).

This was a known issue during the DP stage. It's because enabling TRIM modifies a kext, which breaks the signature on it. Yosemite will not load unsigned kexts.

Follow the instructions here to restore access, by allowing unsigned kexts to load: http://www.cindori.org/update-on-trim-in-yosemite/

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
I don't think Chameleon has been updated yet.

http://www.cindori.org/trim-in-os-x-yosemite/

Disable trim following the instructions there. Trim Enabler flips a switch that enables modified kernel extensions if you still want to use trim with a non-Apple SSD.

Oh, and if your disk name has a space you type the commands with the name in double quotes like this:
rm -rf /Volumes/"Macintosh HD"/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext

The website says it is updated for OS X Yosemite. That's no good. Will using trim enabler as one should work?

I can't restore access as I've deleted Yosemite for now. I will re clean install it and want to know if using Trim Enabler will work.

Last edited:

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
The website says it is updated for OS X Yosemite. That's no good. Will using trim enabler as one should work?

I can't restore access as I've deleted Yosemite for now. I will re clean install it and want to know if using Trim Enabler will work.

I'm using the free version of Trim Enabler on my Yosemite install now. Seems to be working fine after multiple restarts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.