Circus Pony + MacHeist = "sorry, no upgrades for you" (Thousands of people affected)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by one1, Nov 25, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

Notebook 3.0 upgrade is a free upgrade to anyone who purchased Notebook in 2008.

So, who do we unleash the dogs on? The company that will not honor the promise that users with a valid license purchased in 2008 can have a free upgrade, or MacHeist for selling us software with "second class" status?

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

This is not unusual, other companies have also instituted similar rules.

You got the app at a huge discount. This is part of the way they recover the cost. Sort of like how some companies sell academic licenses of their software, but it is not eligible for upgrades. Consider the MacHeist another form of special license.

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am unaware of any legal documentation from the sellers foretelling of this.

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i do recall reading this somewhere on the macheist site. maybe it was in the forums. notebook isn't the only app released by macheist with this limitation.

(ie. i'm pretty sure that this is all above board, and that we were informed of this prior to purchase. however I can't be 100% sure.)

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Yeah i am pretty sure that we were told about this. It was somewhere on the macheist site at one point.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

8. CTYankee macrumors 6502

same happened with Speed Download. The guys at MH called them all kind of names and a sanbox fight broke out. Then we found out these 'businessmen' at macheist did the whole deal without any kind of contract. So don't expect much.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It looks like the folks at Agile are more generous. As far as I can tell, MacHeist-purchased 1Passwd purchasers are eligible for their Thanksgiving free-copy-to-a-friend offer.

10. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good find! I forgot about this when I got the e-mail. I just sent it to a friend who I believe will enjoy it.