Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi all,
I'm having terrible trouble with my Linksys router. I'm trying to get 2 Windoze and a Mac laptop onto my CISCO Linksys WRT120N wireless router.

Now I have my 2 main macs connected via ethernet to the router, and we're online.

Problem 1: The 2 main office macs don't talk to each other!
My mac is Leopard, her's is Snow Leopard, and she has Virus Barrier X6 on. Not sure what we've stuffed up because I need to drag files & folders to her computer now and then. We both have file & printer & scanner sharing turned on.

Problem 2: Wireless laptop connection for gaming.
But where do I even begin? My son and his friends have laptops they want to go wireless for gaming. What security and protocols? Should I use DHCP even though the router seems to have given my 2 ethernet macs their IP addresses? (The router is xxx,xxx.x.1 hers is xxx.100, mine is x.101 — is this normal?)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Linksys defaults to handing out .100+ addresses. All you need for wireless is to enable it, and turn on WPA/WPA2 and enter a password. Then everything should work.

Also, so the two Macs talk to each other, turn off the Firewalls, and see if that helps, if not it might be the VBX6. If turning off the Firewalls works, then simply enable the override in System Preferences>Security that allows for file sharing and remote desktop.

TEG

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Also, so the two Macs talk to each other, turn off the Firewalls, and see if that helps, if not it might be the VBX6. If turning off the Firewalls works, then simply enable the override in System Preferences>Security that allows for file sharing and remote desktop.
Isn't turning off the Firewalls on a wireless dangerous? Couldn't someone access our computers from a laptop in a car out on the street?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
A) Only if you don't have a key on your wireless
B) Only if sharing is on, and your password is blank
C) If you were using Windows
D) If you are on a wireless N network
E) No

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.