Civ 4

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I cannot wait for this game to be released. I kick on my old iMac to play Civ II from time to time since it's such a blast.

Along with Marathon. Marathon kicked some butt back in the day.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Brad Oliver, the lead developer for Civ III: Complete and Civ IV, is estimating this Spring. You can always check Aspyr's website for progress updates.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I just bought an iMac today in preparation for Civ IV ... no way would my old 12" PB be able to meet even the minimum requirements.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
metalgearmac said:
Do you guys think when civ 4 is released it will utilize 64-bit?
No chance ... they're just porting the Windows version, which wasn't 64 bit, nor dual processor enabled. It's the graphics card that matters for this game, 128 MB of VRAM at least.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
chicagdan said:
It's the graphics card that matters for this game, 128 MB of VRAM at least.
Thats a bit crap, seeing as how there are no consumer Macs that have any more than 128 VRAM.

So most people playing this game are going to be on the minimum requirements - and thats never a good place to be.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Atlasland said:
Thats a bit crap, seeing as how there are no consumer Macs that have any more than 128 VRAM.

So most people playing this game are going to be on the minimum requirements - and thats never a good place to be.
I'm sure that they'll declare the minimum requirements as 64 mb VRAM, but it won't function properly below 128 mb. The PC requirements for the game are 64 mb minimum, 128 recommended.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
metalgearmac said:
Do you guys think when civ 4 is released it will utilize 64-bit?
I don't get this obsession with 64-bit...all it does is let you use more than 4GB of RAM. That's it. If Civ4 needs more than 4GB of RAM, we're in big trouble....

--Eric

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Ignore that. I put up the Civ III specs. I meant to do that. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Or you guys could quit bickering and take the initiative to look at Aspyr's website.:rolleyes: :

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
OnceUGoMac said:
Or you guys could quit bickering and take the initiative to look at Aspyr's website.:rolleyes: :
Wow, they don't even mention VRAM. Could they be downgrading it back to 2D? :eek: :rolleyes:

Edit: hmm... aren't those for Civ III? I don't think Civ 4 will even work with those specs.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
yellow said:
Those look like the specs for Civ3: COmplete.

There's no released min-reqs for Civ4 yet.

Oops. You guys tricked me. That is that specs for Civ III.:eek: That said, Brad Oliver did say that it would run on a Mini, I suppose whatever the card is on that is the minimum.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
OnceUGoMac said:
Oops. You guys tricked me. That is that specs for Civ III.:eek: That said, Brad Oliver did say that it would run on a Mini, I suppose whatever the card is on that is the minimum.
Who is this 'Brad Oliver', is he in the know? I'm guessing Civ4 won't be able to run on the Mini (Radeon 9200 w/piddly 32MB VRAM), but I'd love to be wrong...

silverback66

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
CO
Gosh if this game is anything like Civ 2 I had better steer clear. That game would just draw you in as the hour whipped by.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
silverback66 said:
Gosh if this game is anything like Civ 2 I had better steer clear. That game would just draw you in as the hour whipped by.

As have all Civ games. It's 6pm when you start playing.......next thing you know the sun is coming back up and it's 6am.....and you haven't blinked in hours.......great game. Though I think Civ III is my least favorite. I'm really looking forward to getting Civ IV on the Mac.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
brianus said:
Who is this 'Brad Oliver', is he in the know? I'm guessing Civ4 won't be able to run on the Mini (Radeon 9200 w/piddly 32MB VRAM), but I'd love to be wrong...
As OnceUGoMac said, Brad Oliver is the lead developer for Civ III: Complete and Civ IV. He also did the original Civ 3 port and the OS X Alpha Centauri patch, so he's very much a Mac Civ God. :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
brianus said:
Who is this 'Brad Oliver', is he in the know?
He's a programmer over at Aspyr (and before that Westlake Interactive) and he's been doing most of the "important" (read: cash making) ports for Aspyr. Very talented guy, and pretty funny to boot. He has a blog HERE.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
yellow said:
He's a programmer over at Aspyr (and before that Westlake Interactive) and he's been doing most of the "important" (read: cash making) ports for Aspyr. Very talented guy, and pretty funny to boot. He has a blog HERE.
I see from his blog that he bought one of the 32MB Minis too... well that gives me some hope for Civ4!