ckinking "belt buckle" type sound when I move my i7 17" side to side? MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by underblu, Apr 19, 2010.

1. underblu macrumors regular

I have my mBP on my lap and sometimes when I move it just slightly I get this slight clinking "belt buckle" sound. Almost sounds like it's coming from the track pad.

Anyone else experience this? Thanks

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

3. DJ90 macrumors member

i have that on my mbp too...since im not alone i guess its something normal then

4. gazwas macrumors member

gazwas

5. scottie2345 macrumors newbie

My 15" makes this noise as well, it disturbed me some what as I have never heard a laptop make a noise like it, I even rang apple and got a case no, they did suggest taking it to a store to get it checked, but that is easier said than done, all in all a bit disappointing really, not what I was expecting.

Scottie

6. mbpjohnson macrumors member

ok I am very new to macs but read there is a sudden motion sensor to park the hd, maybe search for it not sure if it makes a noise or not.

Phil

7. Jwalker9 macrumors member

my 15 inch is doing the same thing. it comes from the right side, towards the back? just a small "clunk"

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Did you open it up and check for belt buckles??

In all seriousness, it is the HD heads parking which is entirely normal and safer than if they didn't park. I wouldn't make a habit of shaking your laptop though.

9. TedJustAdmitit macrumors regular

TedJustAdmitit

The easiest way to combat the belt buckle sound is to stop looking at P0RN with your new MBP on your lap.

By the way, my joke was lame.

10. involver macrumors newbie

On the 17" it could be the little flap that covers the ExpressCard slot?

11. Jwalker9 macrumors member

i still hear this "clack" every time i stand up from sitting with my new mbp. It is not quiet, and seems to be coming from the area around the superdrive. Is anyone else hearing this sound? Thinking about taking it to the genius bar to have them check it out.

12. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

If you don't hear the click, then there might be a problem. :p
    It's normal.

13. maximus06 macrumors regular

Hearing this too, then saw this thread. Very odd. Seems to be coming from the bottom underneath the trackpad. It is NOT the HDD parking heads. I have an SSD in mine and I hear it.

I think it might be the bottom cover, and tightening or loosening the screws under/near the trackpad might solve it. Will try it when i get time.

14. Jwalker9 macrumors member

for me, it will happen at a random time when i move the machine, but then when i try and reproduce it to record it or something, nothing happens. just happened 2 times when i lifted the right side of the machine, but cant get it to go a 3rd time. for me, seems to be coming form the superdrive. too loud to be heads parking.

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

The heads parking is really loud, its a noticeable *clank* sound. Your hard drive only does it when the heads are active over the drive, if you aren't doing any R/W, there is a good chance it won't happen.

16. brentsg macrumors 68040

These are the threads that make me glad I don't work at a Genius Bar. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.

17. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

im hearing this too, im taking it to the store today

18. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Are you serious? That is a normal sound, if it didn't happen you would risk data corruption...