Clarification Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueGoldAce, Aug 26, 2014.

1. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I know this has been answered before, but I just want to confirm.

Assuming all models of the iphone are equal:

I am planning on buying the next iphone (one of them, at least) outright. Rather than waiting for an unlocked version, can I just buy the verizon version?I know verizon phones are sold unlocked, but is there typically any problems activating them elsewhere? I used a verizon iphone 5s on at&t for a while, so I am just wanting to confirm this trend will hold.

I am on AT&T, but I don't like to commit, so I typically buy my phones outright.

Thanks for the help,

--Blue

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I did not think that Verizon unlocked it phones. Not ever.

3. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

They are sold unlocked, at least the iphone 5s is.

I took my verizon iphone 5s and popped a at&t sim in it, and it worked instantly.

I am just wanting to clarify this trend will hold, before I buy an iphone that won't work on my current network.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Verizon phones come unlocked from the get-go, by nature.

OP, theoretically, yes, however the issue is that they may not offer the ability to buy phones outright from the start, meaning you could get the "unlocked" Verizon phone, but you'd be locked into a contract.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I learn everyday.

I see no reason for Verizon to change what they have done in the past.

You never really know for sure till the time comes.

6. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Verizon iPhones are now unlocked due to an FCC agreement a few years ago.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, applies to Verizon LTE phones.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    Not because verizon had a change of heart all of a sudden.
    It was part of their FCC LTE bands purchase agreement for all their LTE phones to be GSM unlocked out of the box.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

My rely is NOT to the OP, but to so many folks that talk about the hate of a contract or commitment. I sort of get that. I was there once. BUT - I finally realized my emotion was STUPID. I have been with ATT for 10+years and really doubt I will change.

10. techspin macrumors 6502a

Nope, your emotion was right. It looks like some other part of you won though lol.

11. 1080p, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Here is the way it has worked in the past.

Yes. By FCC Mandate, All LTE phones sold for use on Verizon must NEVER be locked. EVER. This was a stipulation for Verizon's licensing of a nationwide 700Mhz spectrum holding.

On pre-order day, Apple.com will only sell under contract... unless you are not eligible for an upgrade, in that case it will let you buy it outright. You can't buy full price online if you are eligible for contract price. It is stupid, but it is the way apple.com is when it comes to iPhone sales.

On launch day, if you get in line at the Apple store, you can purchase a Verizon iPhone. Tell them you want to buy a "Verizon Device-only iPhone."

They will sell it to you.

I doubt a Verizon store will sell to non-Verizon customers... so count that one out, unless you have a friend with a Verizon account that will buy it for you.

12. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

I assume I could buy it outright, preorder, through att next and then just pay for it all.... How is att unlocking policy?

13. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

AT&T will unlock it if you buy it outright, and it is not in contract. I am not sure how AT&T Next comes into play, but I would guess they won't unlock it unless you pay it off.

14. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

It's not really any different than Verizon's policy. Either way one would have to buy a phone at full price, off contract.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, as far as being unlocked, at least as far as the iPhones go since 5 (and basically Verizon LTE phones in general), they are already unlocked by default from the beginning whether you are on contract, on Edge, buying the phone for a full price, etc.

16. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Clarification Question

Though to get a phone on Verizon, you have to get an expensive 2 year contract or buy full price.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or use Edge. Petty much the same types of options that are available for AT&T, for example (the phones are just already unlocked in any of those situations with Verizon).

18. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Certainly, if that works for you. I don't quite understand why people think getting a Verizon iPhone is so special over any other. Just pay full price and get one at the Apple store. Verizon still requires a contract unless one pays full price. The only advantage is being able to use that iPhone on Verizon's exclusive network. They won't let outside phones in.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, basically for some who might be interested or aren't sure they might want to get it so that they can have the choice of using Verizon at some point if they choose to.

20. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Verizon should just open up their network to any compatible phone. Problem solved.

21. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Umm, the fact that you can use it on Verizon is the big deal.

Realistically speaking, I really only have two network options - Verizon and AT&T. I don't get signal with T-Mobile or Sprint unless I go to the roof or the parking lot so those two are out. For me, unless I'm travelling overseas the year I buy the phone, there's not much point getting a factory unlocked version. Until T-Mobile's coverage and building penetration improves massively, I'll only ever be using it with AT&T's network. Even then, as long as the iPhone is paid off, AT&T will unlock it so I can use it with any GSM network.

A Verizon iPhone would actually give me the freedom to choose between AT&T and Verizon without having to worry about shelling out another $3K to buy 4 new Verizon CDMA-compatible phones.

----------

Hah. Good luck with that. CDMA is not available as an excuse for the iPad and yet they're making it extremely difficult to activate non-Verizon iPads on their network. With cellphones, they actually have a valid excuse (or at least a legally accepted one) to bar non-Verizon phones from their network.

To be honest though, I don't get Verizon and Sprint. Why the heck would they refuse to accept paying customers? They won't even be subsidizing the devices or fronting the payments (in case of EDGE). Customers who already buy their devices outright is just money coming in for them.

22. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Well, I can understand not allowing just any device. We are talking about iPhones, where the experience is designed to be carrier agnostic. Verizon could make an exception.

23. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

actually it started with the iphone 5.. in the US (I don't know if it applies to the rest of the world), Verizon is obligated to sell LTE phones unlocked. since iphone 5 was the first LTE iphone, it was sold unlocked.

24. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

It's not about the experience really. It's about Verizon (and Sprint for that matter) being asinine. Verizon is using CDMA as an excuse not to let other phones on their network nevermind the fact that the AT&T/T-Mobile/Factory Unlocked iPhone 5c/5s in the US uses basically the same hardware and the only difference is in programming. :rolleyes:

25. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5C and 5S that AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile use are identical.