Clarkson, May and Hammond returning to (AmazonPrime) screens in 2016

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jul 30, 2015.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Back in March we followed the drama of Jeremy Clarkson's suspension and ultimate firing by the BBC.

In a not particularly surprising announcement, it appears the three lads will be returning in a car-oriented show, with the same producer - on Amazon Prime.

[​IMG]

Which means I'll probably have to sign up. And end up ordering a lot more crap useful products from Amazon.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Top Gear was past its prime when Clarkson got axed. Will this be something fresh or merely a somewhat less restrained / more freeform version of their Top Gear?

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While I'm glad to see the boys back together I'm really wishing this was on Netflix instead. I'm not on Amazon Prime, and don't intend to be a member anytime soon... though I'd admit upon hearing this announcement I did check out membership prices.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I didn't watch the show until it came to netflix (no TV) and I like it. I'm glad it's coming back

5. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I tend to agree with you.

I'm hoping that they will use the freedom offered by an online streaming format to take the show in some different directions. Personally I was not a huge fan of the live audience, nor the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car." There were a couple of gems there, but most of the time it seemed like B-list British celebrities whinging about films, tv shows, or sports events none of the rest of us had heard of.

Being associated with Amazon - a primarily US internet and media company, versus the BBC will present some challenges - and changes. There are as many countries where Americans are persona non grata as there ones where the BBC dare not tread. And I also wonder about many of the "Car versus X" challenges. A huge premise of many of these rests on the dreadful traffic problems associated with living in Southern England - everything from Tube strikes; congestion charges and speed cameras; to caravans on the A303 - that aren't particularly relevant to most Americans.

Here's hoping they can come up with a way of rebooting the series in a way that keeps its inherent charm, while exploring some new avenues of motorheaddom.

My secret TV fantasy: The Top Gear guys meet up with Jamie and Adam from Mythbusters in some manner.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Glad to see that as long as people are entertained, its ok for celebrities to make racist comments and hit their crew.......

7. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm actually more glad that we live in a society where human redemption is possible. That individuals who make mistakes, or even deliberately do bad or foolish things, are not forever banished from employment or society.

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

Society and television screens are not the same thing. He made repeated racist remarks, and hit someone because he didn't get what he want. Amazon have given him a platform to carry on doing so, and to let him carry on getting away with it.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My biggest criticism is that Clarkson has gotten too big for his britches and his act has gotten stale. He's become sort of a milder, UK version of Rush Limbaugh. Go back and watch his reviews on the "old" TG and the first few season of the "new" TG - his gotten more bombastic and less entertaining since then.

I doubt he's looking for a chance at redemption, so much as continued relevance and profitability.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

*Now I understand why this is in the PRSI*

I would never defend Clarkson for his actions; on several occasions he crossed the line with the use of racial slurs and the assault was outright inexcusable regardless of the stresses he was under at the time. For that reason I didn't sign the petition for his reinsatement, though Top Gear is one of my favorite shows. However the BBC has dealt with Jeremy Clarkson in the manner they see fit, and for whatever reason the police have not prosecuted him; and thus he can move on.

I actually fear this incident has tarnished the show. The chemistry of the presenters was very good and while they remain good friends the big question is will their new show have the same spirit and elements that I enjoy so much.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

The problem is that people want to see what he'll do next to cause outrage, so he gets given another platform to project the tripe that he comes out with....... He's like a slightly less desperate KT Hopkins.

12. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

That might be true for some people.

But I'd suggest most people just want to see Clarkson and his crew doing their schtick with various forms of motor vehicles. Part of the appeal is Clarkson et al doing goofy stuff - but more often than not they are making fun of themselves as middle-aged men playing with cars. Yeah: they point out that you'll find some pretty intolerant people driving through parts of Louisiana. Or Argentina. But for the most part the joke is on them.

If anyone is looking forward to this show as a chance to catch Jeremy Clarkson hitting someone or making a mildly racist joke, its Britain's tabloid press.

Thats the problem.

13. Lord Blackadder, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Too many helicopters, explosions, contraptions built by "the lads" and scripted "challenges." Not enough cars.

Too much "goofy," not enough cool or interesting, and the ethnic jokes were never funny either. TG and "the lads" became a self-parody.

In my eyes their best shot at regaining credibility is to do something new rather than double down on their TG act.

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

Hardly

There car show was barely even a car show anymore, it was 3 blokes messing about with 2nd hand cars, one of whom was quite offensive.

I actually watched the show, I just don't think that allowing clarkson to continues his outbursts on a public platform is appropriate