Classic iMac: Getting a Radeon?

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
584
0
Minot, North Dakota
The old, classic iMac. It sports a modest G3 processor, and sells for a decent price. But soon, OS X will not nearly as well as it could.

So, why doesn't Apple just throw in a Radeon into the Classic iMac? This would increase the speed of OS X.2 significantly, correct?

Of course, I'd also like to see 700MHz G3s and a lower price point on the Classic iMacs.
 

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
80
0
Denmark
Re: Classic iMac: Getting a Radeon?

Originally posted by rice_web

So, why doesn't Apple just throw in a Radeon into the Classic iMac? This would increase the speed of OS X.2 significantly, correct?

[/B]
Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on the new iMacs (G4)? My guess would be that they'll just leave the original iMac as-is, as a cheap one for people just wanting to e-mail, surf etc.

Jobs stated that the CRT is dead. However, this does not exclude future releases of CRT-equipped Macs, as the newer eMac has a CRT monitor.
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
Originally posted by aggemam
Jobs stated that the CRT is dead. However, this does not exclude future releases of CRT-equipped Macs, as the newer eMac has a CRT monitor.
aggemam, to correct you, the original iMacs have CRT, which is most likely why they are not in SJ's agenda anymore. The eMac uses a flat-CRT monitor. Although the screen on the eMac is bigger, it does not seem to have any extra depth. A CRT iMac/eMac would not be that condensed, but a flat-CRT would.
__________________

Fear the King.
 

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
4,206
0
San Destin Florida
IMHO we will see the classic iMac go the way of the saber-toothed tiger soon. I don't think that it will be around for more than another 6 months. It is just to old in the tooth tech wise to stay a viable option to consumers at 799. Now if it stayed the same and went to 499 or 599, then yea, let it stay, and sell the hell out of it to students. Well, that cuts from the eMac though. It could be an entry level eMac, or target it only to 1st time home users.
 

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
207
0
NH
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Well, that cuts from the eMac though.
The technology coordinator at my school says he can get an iMac classic for half the price of an eMac
 

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
483
1
South Australia
Recently there was an add in the news paper from an AppleCenter and it was an iMac run out sale (the classic type) and usually when they have these types of sales, usually a new model will be introduced in the not so distant future. So maybe Apple will be upgrading the current classic iMacs. I don't think that Apple phase out these iMacs because they are far cheaper then the G4 iMac and people with lower budgets can't afford a G4 iMac unless the price of the G4 iMac drops a fair bit.
 

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
4,206
0
San Destin Florida
Oh, well. Moot point anyway, and now a definate no. Now that the eMac is available for everyone, the iMac classic should go the way of the dinosaur. Maybe it will be kept at a 499 entry point, but no, they won't mess with the structure much at all.
 

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,849
0
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by awulf
Recently there was an add in the news paper from an AppleCenter and it was an iMac run out sale (the classic type) and usually when they have these types of sales, usually a new model will be introduced in the not so distant future.
well there u go then!

I predict we're going to see free RAM upgrades & printers being offered on already discounted iMac Classics...

maybe they will offer a deal with the combo purchase of a Classic iMac & 5 gig iPod?
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
I wonder if Apple is not making any more of the G3 iMac now that the eMac is available to the masses... Could be that once all the current inventory of the old iMac is gone, so is it.

I also have to wonder why people will go for the 700MHz G4 iMac over the eMac. They both have the same G4 processor, but the eMac has a higher resolution, and larger, display. Considering how the eMac is a few hundred dollars less, it could be a tough choice for a lot of people.
 

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
4,206
0
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I wonder if Apple is not making any more of the G3 iMac now that the eMac is available to the masses... Could be that once all the current inventory of the old iMac is gone, so is it.

I also have to wonder why people will go for the 700MHz G4 iMac over the eMac. They both have the same G4 processor, but the eMac has a higher resolution, and larger, display. Considering how the eMac is a few hundred dollars less, it could be a tough choice for a lot of people.
I have to agree with you on this one. I think the eMac is going to make some people look at the iMac entry level a little different. Could the rumors of 17 inch iMacs be true? Could they drop the base, add the 17 inch, and have them start at 1699, and 1999?