Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
I had some trouble a couple months ago where my 500mhz imac's 40gb drive became innoperable, apparently due to extreme fragmentation after some video editing. Couldn't even run the computer, it was pretty bad. Anyways, the mac shop ran disk warrior on it to save some of the files, but they had to reinstal OS 10.2 for me. When i got the computer back, there was a folder called "Lost and Found". I went through the hundred or so folders in there. Some of the stuff was old system software which i just deleted since it became redundant after getting the OS reinstalled. A lot of it also seems to be classic software, lots of extensions and so forth.

Rather than spending hours trying to figure out where all these crazy files belong, i figure i'll just try to reinstal my os9.
I can start classic right now, and some of the classic apps seem to work, like IE, my good old UT demo. Others, like my precious Quake III demo don't work at all (i tried reinstalling that game and that did nothing). As soon as i open the app, it says the app has quit unexpectedly. The accompanying error message has been one of several things, my last one said OTlnetClientLIb (-2624). I've also had smething along the lines of InputSprocketLib (-2624), and i think others as well, i can't quite remember. But i do remember that they all had that (-2624) code. I'm guessin this means i'm missing various extensions or something.

So yeah, i'm guessin most of you would simply suggest reinstalling my os9. But i'm wondering if i can just pop my old os9 cd in and click reinstal or something, will it mess with my os10.2 stuff?

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
did you try to save your "preferences from the old calssic? with a clean insatall of the OS you're gonna need to re-install all the software again in order to reset the prefs you had or copy them from the old system folder into the new one and re-boot. Did you happen to remeber the "extensions manager" setup you had? When I get crashes a lot I will go back to Classic and first start with extension OFF (hold the shift key at boot) then try to launch the app in question, when I get an error message as to "yadda yadda file missing " I go to Manager turn that extension on, re-boot and try again, Its the same thing that conflict Catcher does, but I think is qicker if you only have trouble with one or two apps.
PS I do this Starting in OS 9 first then change my start-up disk to OS X and re-boot. sometimes it works... and when it doesn't I go back to OS9 and try again. I hate it when a machine thinks it's smarter than I am.
(even though they usually are)
Good Luck
Sparky

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
well, i had already tried just copying the contents of the system folder and that didn't seem to help, so i just reinstalled os9 from the cd. Then i got really annoyed because the computer couldn't seem to recognize my old osx system folder as a system folder... so i couldn't get it to start up again in osx. I then got to reinstal osx as well, yay. It wasn't as bad as i thought though, since i was able to just copy all the old apps and preferences and users from an "Original Items" folder.
And yeah, reinstalling os9 seems to have worked, of course now i'm back to 9.1 and i gotta update that somehow... oh yeah, and i'm back down to 10.2.3, gotta download the 100MB combo 10.2.8 upgrade.
And now i can play quake3 again, but of course its crazy slow through classic for some reason. I'm gonna make a new thread specifically about this now, see if someone knows how i can make it play like it did when i was on os9.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
LMAO

I know your pain... been there done that. Next time archive all the upgrades and keep them in a safe place. I have both ZIP disks and CDs with all the upgrades on them so I don't have to search and reload again!!

Glad you're up and running.

Sparky

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.