Classical music: Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Aug 4, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Do you think classical music helps children develop in their early stages? I was recently talking to my cousin and he was revealing how he wanted his son's room to be decorated, mentioning that he wanted classical music to be playing a lot. I myself enjoy Jazz and nu-jazz a lot, sometimes classical, but am wondering if your brain develops better or faster while listening to it. What do you think?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This probably belongs in community discussion. Mozart really isn't political...

3. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

True, however Wagner could be. ;)

4. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

If you don't listen to Beethoven, you don't know what you're missing. So powerful, but he does tend to get a little bit boring. That's why I stopped, hahaha.

You liked Mozart? I loved Mozart too. I LOOOOVE Mozart. He was Austrian you know. But his kind of work seemed a little bit light.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

There is no definitive study that shows that if you play classical music for a passively listening infant he/she will be smarter.

However, interacting with/playing with/talking to/reacting to your infant will produce a smarter kid. No media is a substitute for an interactive, loving environment.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I listen to Classical music all the time. I don't know why, but listening to classical music improves my math tremendously. Try it for yourself. Find a math problem that you CAN solve, but with great difficulty. You find that it's much easier to solve while listening to a bit of Mozart.:cool: I don't know why, but it works. I'm guessing, it's because classical music IS a form of very complex mathematics.

Anyhow, back on topic. From my experience, my kids mental development is far ahead of other kids their age. I'd like to attribute it to superior genes;), but I know piping the 3 B's (Bach, Beethoven and Brahms), Mozart, Bizet, Vivaldi and Handel through the sound system daily has a major impact.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I would think music in general could be a good thing, classical or not.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I remember reading or hearing something a while back that said that classical music really doesn't "work" for infants. A study was done to show that it improved concentration in adults, but never for infants. I don't care too much either way though. I listen to classical music, so if/when I have a kid they will hear it too, but it won't be for the single purpose of improving their intelligence.

9. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Agreed. Look if you wanna look cool, listen to Soulja Boy or whatever kids listen to these days. If you like classical music, go for it...

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Simply listening to music may not be beneficial, but the study of music could be:

The corpus callosum, the structure of the mammalian brain that connects the left and right cerebral hemispheres, has been reported to be significantly larger in musicians than non-musicians in several studies.

Musicians found to have 'more sensitive brains'

Music improves brain power - in some performers

Musicians use both sides of their brains more frequently than average people

Musical Ability and the Brain (addresses the bogus "Mozart effect")

Music lessons provide a workout for the brain -- Scans of the brains of child musicians before and after musical training have yielded compelling evidence that proficiency and skill relies on hard graft, not innate genius.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Communist listen to Prokofiev, Nazis definitely don't listen to Felix Mendelssohn, Christians are quite partial to some Tallis and potheads prefer a bit of Mingus. Now there's a reason for a music thread to be in the PRSI forum! :p

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Wasnt Hitler Gay, and wasnt his baby eaten by a python while signing a new healthcare bill? :p

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's been ages since he came up with any new material. ;)

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Your comment isn't what I expected. When I saw your username, I expected to read a plug for Bach. :)

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

(Bach = 'little' in Welsh.)

Anywho, I didn't mention Bach because I assumed that everybody already knew that he's a favourite with the Nihilists!

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hmm, guess I should move to NK then...

17. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

*Cocks shotgun*

Love that movie.

18. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hahahaha, I knew someone would pick that up.

But in all seriousness, I love all types of Classical and Jazz music. Nu-Jazz is slowly finding a place in my heart. Kira Neris is a remarkable Nu-Jazz artist.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...Too many notes. ;)

20. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

A resounding yes. Classical has a math pattern to it.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Studying classical music/playing the piano could be, but that was already pointed out above by another poster. I don't think passive listening is quite as good as active.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I should have, but I didn't. :(

I think you should try playing some Berg, Webern, and Shönberg for the poor kid. :p

23. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

ABSOLUTELY! Coming from a completely medical perspective, I believe that new born minds develop strongly from Classical, Jazz and Blues music.

24. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

From what I know, studying piano is one of the most boring thing to do in the whole world. When I see kids not touching the keys before 4 years, because they don't know the history of the classical music, that's just silly to me.

By the way, one of the best movies of all time, "Amadeus" :D

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Classical music has a physical impact on my girlfriend, she normally gets car sick unless she's listening to either classical music on her iPod or on the cars sound system.

I think it helps though. The smarter kids at my school were big classical music buffs too, and everytime I'm talking to doctors or head techers or whoever they also seem to have a list of their favourite composers.