Clean install of 10.9.2 on a separate drive: Home folder questions

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pullman, Mar 27, 2014.

1. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

Hi everyone

I've run 10.7.5 for a long time on an SSD in my Mac Pro with my home folder on an internal HDD.

Today I installed another SSD (actually a striped array of two SSDs on a Sonnet Tempo Pro) and put 10.9.2 on it.

Is it safe under 10.9.2 to use that old trick in Users & Groups -- right-click the user name, select Advanced and choose the HDD as home folder?

Also, I've seen comments that one shouldn't have the entire home folder on a separate drive if that drive is a mechanical drive. Can someone point me to instrux on which parts belong best on an SSD and which on an HDD and how I go about selecting them?

Many TIA
    Philip

2. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

3. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

No, I would not do it. Mavericks and Lion use different database setups for iPhoto, iTunes, cloud settings and a few other lower level things. If you try and have one user account link to two operating system you'll be bound for trouble.

4. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks very much for the reply, much appreciated.

What if I don't use 10.7.5 - would the fact that the home folder was used/created with Lion make it incompatible with Mavericks?

If so, how do I transfer all the stuff to mavericks-compatible home folder?

Thanks again
    Philip

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Depends on how big the home folder is. A huge imovie or itunes library makes it a little tricky.

If you can make your home folder small enough (backing up non OS integrated files) to
    redirect back onto the original SSD, you could migrate to the new system, then erase the HD and
    make a new Home folder as before and copy the big stuff back to the HD.

iTunes/iMovie libraries can be moved if you do it the right way. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

As long as you're cloned/backed up you can give it a shot.