Clean install of Leopard and then upgrade to SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by efp722, Sep 5, 2009.

1. efp722 macrumors regular

Since I have been running Leopard since december of 2007 I have accumilated a bunch of programs and files that i just don't use and don't need.

I have been running time machine for about a month now and I was thinking of just doing a clean install or Leopard to completely erase and clean up my disk and then do the SL upgrade.

My main concern- Can i plug in my time machine external and drag and drop the files and applications that I want and need and just leave all the other things on my external?

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

You can do a clean install with the Snow Leopard disk, boot from the DVD then run disk utility from the disk and reformat your drive and Snow Leopard will install like normal but it will be a clean install.

Here's a video explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65uwfaT3LF4

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Yup, correct!

Just done this here... twice using the £25/$29 disk.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depends - some applications require you to install them. For instance if you tried that with photoshop, it would fail.

I formatted my drive, installed SL and dragged/dropped my apps and/or installed them (again photoshop). I also copied from TM my data and some folders from ~/Library so I'd not lose my settings in those apps.

5. Vster macrumors 6502

I thought about running the Disk Utility and reformatting from the SL disk but I was a bit nervous that I'd have to reinstall 10.5 any way so I did that. I should have checked MR like I normally do LOL. :eek: