Clean install of Lion has lots of spinning beach balls?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Imola Ghost, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I did a clean install of Lion last week. Before I installed any applications or made any personal preference changes I updated the Lion with all software updates.

However after thinking this was a near perfect/clean install after I week I seem to experience lots of spinning beach balls. My wife notices it a lot when she's checking her school web email, which she seems to lose her cursor for several minutes with beach balls.

I don't know what's going on...I ran verify disk permissions with no change.

Ideas?

2. iWind130290 macrumors member

"Erase Free Space"

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I've seen that in Disk Utility but never knew what it was for. What do you think is going on?

4. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

How does erasing free space help?

I upgraded from SL to Lion and I'm considering a clean install since performance seems to be degrading.

5. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I was wanting to know also.

6. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

It doesn't help. What I Would recommend doing is going into disk Utility and repairing the permissions anyway, you don't have to verify it first. If that doesn't help try Resetting your SMC, and PRAM (Just google how to do it, Apple has support articles on how to do it). If that doesn't help, you May need More ram (unlikely if you have 3gb or more), or your Hard Drive May Be going out. Before you go out and by a new Hard Drive or take it to the Apple store, try Reinstalling Lion again from A Disk or USB (Not though Snow leopard, it carries over unnecessary files if you did a clean install os SL.) Make sure in the menu that pops up after the language selection menu you press disk utility then press your hard drive, then goto partition, then name it and make sure its 1 Partition and Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) And Press Options then Make sure it is GUID. After it finishes Partitioning goto the Erase Tab then Name it and make sure it is Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and then press Security opens and Zero Out data, it will clean your hard drive of temporary and other files. Then Press Erases and close Disk Utility. Then install Lion as normal and update, if all else fails goto an apple store and have diagnostics done.

7. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

That's how I did a clean install of Lion and Zeroed Out the hard drive before. I've already taken it to the Apple Store and they couldn't find anything other than my SuperDrive doesn't work most of the time.

8. JohnPhamlore macrumors regular

Spinning beachballs occured to me in SL before HD died

Greatly increased spinning beachballs occurred to me in Snow Leopard before the hard drive died in my Macbook 2,1, past the time for AppleCare. The SuperDrive not working most of the time isn't a good sign either it seems to me--I have a Mac Mini 2009 where the SuperDrive has died I suspect from heat as optical disk drives seem prone to do for me.

I would strongly suggest backing everything up to Time Machine and having a contingency plan if the hard drive dies. That saved me and I was able to later upgrade to Lion on the Macbook without having to do a clean install. I found that the Macbook got very hot with the mdworker process using a large percent of CPU until I rid the system of the soon-to-be obsoleted iWeb which I was not using anyway, iWeb apparently lacking some update that would get it to play nicely with Spotify indexing.

9. lotones macrumors regular

You should repair disk permissions. There's a difference.