Clean Install on 2018 MBP with T2 chip

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Bending Pixels, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

I've created as USB-C install drive to do a clean install. With the new 2018 MBP's with the T2 chip, will holding down Option to install via the USB install drive still work?.....Or do I need to do Option + ⌘ +R to install?

2. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Im locked out wont let me do it like normal keeps trying to goto internet and comes with error now stuck cos i deleted macos

3. mattburley7 macrumors 68040

4. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

It wont install from usb c said at first needed software update now if i try just go to internet and installs high sierra

5. fate0311 macrumors 6502a

Is it that beneficial to do a clean install just for an OS X update? Seems overkill.

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

If you want to clean install from the thumb drive, boot into Recovery (Command+R). In the menu bar, click Utilities > Startup Security Utility. Select an Admin account and enter the password for it. Next, under ‘External Boot’ select ‘Allow booting from external media’. Close out of the utility and restart the computer holding the ‘Option’ key.

Select the thumb drive from the boot select menu. When it boots, it’ll say that a ‘Software Update is required to use this startup disk’. Make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi on the top right, then select ‘Download’. Let it download, and it’ll automatically reboot. On the SECOND reboot, hold down ‘Option’ and select the install disk again. After showing and taking away the Apple logo 2-3 times, you’ll be greeted by the ‘macOS Utilities’ screen. Go crazy.

Note: the thumb drive has to be created using an App Store downloaded copy of Mojave and Terminal.

7. Bodorobodo macrumors newbie

Bodorobodo

--- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2018 ---
    I keep the option key pressed, it lets me choose the boot disk, then it asks again for the wifi password and I get back to the same "update" message. Before my agreement for the update the wifi is conected. Any chance you might help me on this one? Thank you.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Did you build the thumb drive from the terminal command? Also, did you make sure to allow external booting?