[Clean Install] What part of High Sierra installation gives me the option to convert to APS

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by davidcmc, Sep 25, 2017.

1. davidcmc macrumors 6502

I'm still downloading High Sierra installation .app from the App Store and intend to do a clean install of it in my MBP.

I've read somewhere that the installer will convert my SSD to APFS during installation. But, isn't there supposed to be an option in Disk Utility (of macOS Utilities) to manually format my drive partition with APFS?

Am I supposed to select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility and expect the installation process to automatically do the conversion?

2. okieiam macrumors member

okieiam

No. You have to run Install app from terminal with some command line switch

3. paddylaz macrumors newbie

are you sure? if people who aren't doing a clean install get an automatic conversion, why wouldn't he? its all done by the installer isn't it?

4. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I saw in a beta screenshot that there was a toggle button during the installer. However it doesn't exist now and your drive will be converted to APFS by default

5. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Clean install here:

When you bout to your install USB use disk utility to erase the drive and formate the computer as the standard Mac OS Extended Journaled (or Journal extended...I've never actually paid attention :p ).

During the install it will convert it without notice.

6. davidcmc thread starter macrumors 6502

Finished downloading High Sierra and, in my case, the installer (from bootable USB) Disk Utility gave me many more options in partition scheme menu (after you select the drive and click Erase).

Among the options, there are the usual exFAT, MS-DOS FAT, macOS Extended and also APFS (with case-sensitive and encrypted variants).

So Ive manually formatted my internal SSD as APFS with the Disk Utility app bundled in bootable USB installer.