Clean screen.

jon paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
If someone watching is in a position to know if a screen cleaner that contains 2-Butoxyethanol as the main ingredient together with distilled water, anti-static [sic] & fragrance would be suitable and safe to use on a macbook retina screen the liquid cleaner is in a spray form the kit is branded as 'iGo' and has sat virtually unused for around 12 years. If there is such a viewer I would be very grateful if they could post whatever information they have. Respectfully John.

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
You're gonna go "yuuck" but in nearly 30 years using everything from desktops to laptops the only thing I ever clean my screens and keyboards with is an antistatic microfibre cloth with a little spit on it. Really I guess a few drops of water would be the same but I don't have a tap next to my computer.
I really wouldn't advise anything else.
An Apple Store Genius cleaned my screen with a micro fiber cloth and a product call Whoosh!

He said they use that for all screens in the store.

I've used it for a year without issue.

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
iKlear works well, too
I used iKlear for years under the recommendation that Apple store employees used it but the amount of buffing required to get the steaks clear on a Macbook screen was driving me nuts. It was like applying car wax to my screens.

I've recently switched to Woosh which is MUCH easier to work with.

Reactions: jon paul

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I just apply a little breath (for fog) if it doesn't come off with a lint cloth, otherwise most of the time just a lint cloth. I would never use any cleaner on my MBP's screen other than water.

Reactions: me55

tarsins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
All my screens have always been cleaned with a microfibre cloth. Stubborn stains are rubbed a little harder with said cloth moistened with plain tap water. Never used a screen cleaner.

jon paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
You're gonna go "yuuck" but in nearly 30 years using everything from desktops to laptops the only thing I ever clean my screens and keyboards with is an antistatic microfibre cloth with a little spit on it. Really I guess a few drops of water would be the same but I don't have a tap next to my computer.
I really wouldn't advise anything else.
Sorry about the belated reply, thankyou for the info.
- - Post merged: - -

Seriously...? Spit! That is gross.

A lightly soaped bit of water and a lint free, microfibre cloth is all you need and some gentle persuasion.
Shamefully late in replying thank you.
- - Post merged: - -

An Apple Store Genius cleaned my screen with a micro fiber cloth and a product call Whoosh!

He said they use that for all screens in the store.

I've used it for a year without issue.
Thank you, belatedly

jon paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
I used iKlear for years under the recommendation that Apple store employees used it but the amount of buffing required to get the steaks clear on a Macbook screen was driving me nuts. It was like applying car wax to my screens.

I've recently switched to Woosh which is MUCH easier to work with.
Thank you sorry I was late.

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I just use the same lens cleaner spray I use on my glasses and usually with just a soft paper towel. Once in a while I use Hoodman Lens Cleanse on both the screen, keyboard, and case. Lens Cleanse is amazing. Nothing else I've ever used cuts grease, dirt, and grime down as quickly as this stuff does. I use it on my camera lenses. If it's safe for camera lenses, it's safe for your screen.

Regardless of what I'm using, I usually do use a microfiber cloth after the initial wipedown while the screen isn't fully dry yet and do a quick wipe over to get rid of the streaks.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
That Whoosh stuff sounds pretty interesting and it keeps coming up. I'm gonna go give it a try. I buy a lot of disposable lens wipes becaue those are the only things that seem to cut through the gunk that builds up on my glasses throughout the day. They work great, but each little packet is sealed in plastic. I'd prefer not to be throwing out a wad of plastic everytime I want to clean my glasses or phone.

If it's doing a great job on screens, I presume it'll also be pretty good on my glasses too (as well as screen).

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
That Whoosh stuff sounds pretty interesting and it keeps coming up. I'm gonna go give it a try. I buy a lot of disposable lens wipes becaue those are the only things that seem to cut through the gunk that builds up on my glasses throughout the day. They work great, but each little packet is sealed in plastic. I'd prefer not to be throwing out a wad of plastic everytime I want to clean my glasses or phone.

If it's doing a great job on screens, I presume it'll also be pretty good on my glasses too (as well as screen).
It's great----I used it on all my screens, OLED tv included.

I was sold when I watched the Genius bring it out of the back and used it to clean my laptop screen.