Cleaned dust off internals of early 2006 mac pro and now it won't boot..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by downhillski1, Jul 22, 2010.

1. downhillski1 macrumors member

Before I opened it and cleaned it , it was going into safe boot, and even upon disconnecting everything except power and video, it still went into safe boot.

It was then I decided I might as well clean it anyways. I cleaned off all the dust inside, down to the heatsinks, graphics card and everything. Reapplied new thermal grease to the CPUs and put everything back together. Now when I boot it nothing shows up on my screen and the fan for the graphics card runs at full speed, though everything else sounds normal. I booted it with just the power and video cable attached and got the same result.

Specs are as follows:
    Early 2006 Mac Pro
    2.66 Dual Core Xeons (x2)
    6GB Ram
    ATI x1900XT graphics card
    250GB HDD
    Single super drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

3. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

A dry paper towel. No cleaning liquids.

4. MacVidCards Suspended

When you mentioned safe boot, was that because you were having trouble to begin with?

The X1900 fails something like that...getting worse until always black.

Don't suppose you have "Screen Sharing" on and a macbook Pro handy?

Have you at least done the "volume button" test to see if it has booted completely?

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

6. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

I tried to ARD in from my mbp, and it wouldn't show up on my local network list. I'm not sure why it went into safe boot in the first place. I wasn't having any trouble with it before that.

7. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

What should I be looking for on the LEDs?

8. name99 macrumors 6502

You need to be more specific about how far you get.
    Let's think. A Mac boot first gives the donnngggg. Then the screen goes grey and an Apple is drawn. Then the spinning cursor/fan thingie then the login window/finder screen.

So how far along this do you get? "blank screen" could mean anything.

In particular, are there reasons to believe that the problem is with the HD? So that booting off a CD fixes things.

Or are there reasons to believe the problem is with the monitor and/or graphics card? So the system boots fully (and can be accessed over the network via VNC or SSH).

Are you sure that the problem is not as simple, and as dumb, as that you slightly unseated the RAM, or the CPUs, or a drive, or the graphics card, or the VRAM on the graphics card, etc etc. It's easy to sometimes knock a part so that it's no longer seated properly, and all you need to do is go through making sure everything is tight, with good contact.

9. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

Blank screen as in I don't even get to the startup 'dong' My monitor says auto detecting input, it switches to DVI and then goes to a normal black screen as if a video cable is disconnected, but it isnt. I also checked all cables and made sure everything was seated correctly.

10. MacVidCards Suspended

try booting with X1900 out.

It seems either card has failed or you didn't put something back right.

To see if machine has booted, you can just hit the volume up and down keys.

If it is running, you will hear their sound.

11. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

Negative. Probably something else. I might just take it to the apple store, but I'd rather not have to drag it there if I can help it.

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

DO NOT tell them that you were dusting it, if you are under warranty. You probably aren't under warranty, though.

13. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, I'm not under warranty. It expired last August.

14. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I recently had the same situation: helped a friend clean his old G5, and it would not boot afterwards... turned out the problem was the graphics card was not connected properly.

Before taking it to Apple Service, try to resettle all RAM modules, battery, CPU, GPU and HDD connections. My wild guess is the problem comes from meddling with the CPU... so double-check it.

Good luck.

15. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was thinking it could have been that too but I reseated everything except the processors and tried the gfx card in a different slot and still nothing. Oh well..

16. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

You could have bricked it when you applied the thermal grease. You have to be extra careful to make sure it DOES NOT CONTACT any part of your actual processor, or the whole system might not POST. This could be why you aren't even getting a "dong" when you try to boot. You could have shorted one of the processors.

17. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

Is the top of the processor and the holder conductive? I used non conductive thermal grease though. I don't think any of it came in contact when I reapplied it but I don't know for sure.

18. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I am interested in how this ends! Keep us posted! IMHO, you might need a new MP. But, if you do need a new MP, wait for the 2010 MP's or 2011, idk when it will be released :confused:;), but thats Apple for ya :apple::D

19. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

I definitely will...I have an appointment at the genius bar on Monday. And if I do need a new one, I'll wait for the new MP. Or use the money for some more photo gear instead as I also have a new MBP (one week old).

Thanks for the help guys!

20. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If you already have a MBP, sell the MP as "as is-for parts" and save the money for hobbies, such as photography. I support photography hobbies, as it does not just benefit you, but it also benefits all of the people viewing the photographs (on sites like flickr, etc...). My cousin is a great photographer (IMHO), and you should check out his flickr. Link to his flickr is here.

21. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Check CPU heatsinks thermal sensor cables and/or reseat them.

22. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

In this case, explain to them exactly what you did, in great detail.

23. gaspra macrumors member

Usually the thermal grease becomes more and more efficient with time going on. It gets hardened and seals the gap between heatsink and CPU. Unless you have a good reason for it (like change a new heatsink or upgrade CPU), it's better not to reapply the thermal grease.

24. flatfoot macrumors 65816

+1

Maybe you just forgot to reseat the senor cables.

25. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Except when the thermal paste dries out. Then, it can damage the CPU, because of the heat.