Cleaning out iTunes Library Folder

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
When you delete a song in iTunes, you are asked if you want to move the file to the trash or keep the file in the iTunes library folder. Is there a way to delete all the songs in the folder that are not in iTunes anymore (besides going through the folder and finding the songs manualy, which I have no way of remembering which are in iTunes).

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Wipe the library clean (not the files, but the listings in iTunes), reimport everything (doesn't take long and I have 400GB in my library), then remove everything you don't want and do choose to delete the files this time.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
If you have the space you can Consolidate your library to a new location... this will just move the files listed in iTunes. Then delete your original library and move the consolidated files back to their original location.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
If you have the space you can Consolidate your library to a new location... this will just move the files listed in iTunes. Then delete your original library and move the consolidated files back to their original location.

Yes! That sounds great! Thank you!