Cleaning the Home Button on IPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iUser1408, Sep 29, 2013.

1. iUser1408 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know whether the IPhone 5S home button should be cleaned differently than home buttons in previous IPhones? For past IPhones, I have used an approved Apple Screen Cleaning Fluid (such as IKlear) on a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen, bezels, home button and back of the device. Is this method no longer acceptable since the new IPhone 5S home button has a touch i.d. sensor?

2. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Taken from the user guide:

Important handling information
    Cleaning Clean iPhone immediately if it comes in contact with anything that may cause stains— such as dirt, ink, makeup, or lotions. To clean:
    • Disconnect all cables and turn iPhone off (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, then slide the onscreen slider).
    • Use a soft, lint-free cloth. (Is all you really need)
    • Avoid getting moisture in openings.
    • Don’t use cleaning products or compressed air.
    The front or back cover of iPhone may be made of glass with a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic (oil repellant) coating. This coating wears over time with normal usage. Cleaning products and abrasive materials will further diminish the coating, and may scratch the glas

3. gCloud macrumors 6502a

been using iPhones since the 3G launch, never used more than the micro fibre cloth I use for my glases, just used that on the 5s home button, more to dry it than clean it, it doesn't like any humidity that button not to great after excercise or during spells of anxiety which I get a lot :)

4. Spacial macrumors 6502

If any fluid enters around the home button or any other point of entry, it's like gambling. You may lose.

5. iUser1408 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't use a cleaning fluid, but rather a non-alcoholic, non-abrasive, specialized cleaning liquids sprayed on a cloth.

Basically, if I have been using on previous IPhone buttons with no problems, is there any reason why I should start having problems if I use it with the new home button with touch i.d.?

----------

Also, I don't spray right on the home button, but dampen the cloth to clean it.

6. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Well the touch I.D button would likely be a bit more fragile due to more components that just a flex cable,a microfiber cloth should be fine maybe a q-tip around the edges at the most.