Clear unlimited 4G for iOS 25$/month, no contract, device 29.99$ today

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vista.john, Aug 4, 2010.

1. vista.john macrumors regular

Saw this earlier today, looks pretty good if you got coverage. only for iOS device only. So ipad should be working well.

clear ispot

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Anyone using this yet? It looks very compelling and might be a good alternative to the unlimited iPad data plan.

Downside is the battery life is only 4 hours.

Any comments?

3. mixvio macrumors 6502

4G as a standard doesn't fully exist yet, so seeing that splashed across the advertising on that site is pretty disingenuous.

4. cis4life macrumors regular

meh,

Another so called company with absolutely NO coverage except in Major Major cities. Good idea, but no real network backing to make it worth it. I'm sticking to my Mifi with a REAL wireless provider.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Though we have coverage at my house, looking at the map was what finally made me decide against this one. No coverage in two of the three big cities we're traveling to this year. If it had 3G also enabled, I'd be all over it, but 4G coverage only makes it useless to me.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

7. MCRunning macrumors 6502

If you got coverage might be worth to get. I would rather just go to sprint and root an evo and use it as a hotspot. Save yourself that $30 a month

8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Would be a possibility if there was coverage in my city, but it's not here yet.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

hm, sounds good but there is almost no coverage anywhere. that makes is useless for a mobile device. also there are only monthly plans. I bet you they limit the data and/or jack up the prices very soon. they just want to increase customer numbers for now and then cash in. like apple and att:D

10. bossxii macrumors 68000

I thought that as well...one small detail you will run into is the huge difference in reception between the Evo and a hotspot device such as the Overdrive. After 30 days with both devices the stand alone mifi unit would pull a much, much better signal both outside and even more of a difference inside my home or office. 4G on the Evo rarely, if everr went past 3mb, sometimes near 4mb while the Overdrive would pull 5mb to bursts of 9 or 10mb download speeds.

The stand alone devices likely have larger antenna, more power driving them for better reception. They don't have to worry about all day bettery life and managing it against the cell phone and it's uses, the mifi devices only last 4 hours for a reason. Just something to think about.

11. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Almost got excited, until I realized that this is for the US.

edit: Is it jus me or does "Clear iSpot" sound like a pimple treatment to anyone else?

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

That's because 4G isn't a standard, nor is 3G. They are a generational group (or family) of standards, not a standard.

13. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

14. mixvio macrumors 6502

That's not quite true.

But at any rate, 4G isn't out either.

15. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Don't buy... I'm a microwave engineer and our main client right now is clearwire. Out of 500+ we only deployed less than 100 microwave sites.

This is in new england.. The 4G that they are talking about is just pure marketing

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Its a heck of a lot closer than your initial post.

17. erillanos macrumors member

My two hour ride from my home to school has full coverage with clear.
    I might go for it since I do not have any other mobile data plans.

Plus it works with all devices just not ipad and such.

18. mixvio macrumors 6502

No, it isn't.

WiMAX and LTE are both not 4G technologies, whatever Sprint wants to call it.

4G does not exist yet, so a company advertising itself as such is employing very misleading naming conventions.

4G is a standard, whether you're referring to one standard under its umbrella or the entire umbrella. Arguing otherwise is needlessly pedantic and pointless.

19. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The cheap device and no contract plan work ONLY with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. It will not work with any other handheld or computer. Check the site for details.

To get the full deal, it's twice the price for the device and $40 a month under a two year contract in my area.

20. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If it were 3G/4G I'd be interested. And if it worked with devices other than iOS devices. I'm still not even sure how they did that...

I'll keep my MiFi for 50 bucks a month.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yes, WiMAX is more of a enhancement to 3G technology, but its considered pre-4G or 3.9G.

This happens all the time. The major companies drive the standards, not the other way around. Nobody proclaims "this will now be 4G, go out and use it". Companies switch technologies, add some marketing jargon such at "4G", then eventually it makes it into the standard if enough of them use it. Both 3G and 2G worked the same way, and 4G will as well.

pre-3G technologies were being rolled out in 2001, but the standards were being changed and amended as late as 2007 (probably even later, but I happen to know of a specific change in 2007).

To use another example, 802.11N routers were being sold as early as 2006-2007. The standard wasn't officially ratified until 2009. The previous routers still worked. Just because those router were sold before the IEEE approved it, doesn't make them any less N then the routers sold today.

To say this isn't 4G is unnecessarily splitting hairs because you don't like their marketing.

22. mixvio macrumors 6502

Or because it isn't, and they're capitalising on an ignorant demographic of consumers by diluting something that has an actual definition in favour of marketing shenanigans.

It isn't 4G. 4G doesn't exist yet. This is not 4G.

The N comparison is something else completely different. N had a draft standard for quite some time, and devices using that draft had a reasonable idea of where the standard was going. WiMAX is its own little thing outside of 4G which Sprint is asserting is the same thing to try and appear innovative.

23. Richie1981 macrumors newbie

Can someone who is way more tech savvy than me help me with figuring out how to change the settings on my laptop to make it work with the ispot? I ordered one of these today and it's coming from UPS tomorrow, it;ll be nice to have with my ipad and iphone but there's gotta be some way to trick it into working with my laptop too right? If it makes a difference I have a Compaq computer running windows Vista. Thanks for any help in advance.

24. mixvio macrumors 6502

It would appear that they are MAC locked to only iDevices. I'm sure it would be possible to work around that restriction, but personally I couldn't tell you how to do it. I've never spoofed a MAC address on a laptop before.

25. rworne macrumors 6502

Hmmm... No coverage in New York or Los Angeles. Did they forget to grease a few palms?
    :confused: