• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In the most recent Apple Developer mailing, Apple is offering special pricing for PowerMac 1.6GHz G5s for ADC Select and Premier members.

ADC is pleased to offer special pricing on the Power Mac G5 1.6GHz to ADC Select and Premier members in the United States and Europe. Through June 26, ADC Select and Premier members can purchase up to five Power Mac G5 1.6GHz systems through the ADC Hardware Purchase Program, without affecting annual hardware discount purchase limits.

Speculation, of course, points to Apple clearing out the low end PowerMac G5s. June 26th also coincides with the end of the Brilliant Savings Promo and is 2 days prior to the start of WWDC.

Paulo the Limey

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2004
Old York, Old York
Waits patiently for WWDC

Macrumors said:
In the most recent Apple Developer mailing, Apple is offering special pricing for PowerMac 1.6GHz G5s for ADC Select and Premier members.

Speculation, of course, points to Apple clearing out the low end PowerMac G5s. June 26th also coincides with the end of the Brilliant Savings Promo and is 2 days prior to the start of WWDC.
Only question now is the specs.

Comment

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
2.2 / 2.4 / 2.6 ?

Here's my guess.. I don't think we'll see 3ghz for some time.
2.2 / 2.4 / DP 2.6

Comment

fregedegpo

macrumors member
May 27, 2004
all right already!

Bring on these new fangled machines, WITHOUT SOUND PROBLEMS PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
marco114 said:
I don't think we'll see 3ghz for some time.
I think you may be right, but I hope you're wrong! If we don't see them soon then we all know that Apple is full of sh*t!!!! And that they shouldn't make promises they can't keep. :rolleyes:

Comment

tazznb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New Jersey
Another thought

i_b_joshua said:
If they're only clearing out the 1.6 machines then doesn't
1.8, 2 and 2.2 look more realistic?

i_b_joshua

The 1.6 has a different logic, etc that gives it a max capacity of 4GB ram; so those machines need to go.

I'm sure the innards of the available 1.8, and 2.0 can be switched with the higher specs without too much trouble, and time consumption, therefore those 1.8, and 2.0 can be placed inside the awaiting G5 iMacs. :cool:

Comment

segundo

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2003
marco114 said:
Here's my guess.. I don't think we'll see 3ghz for some time. 2.2 / 2.4 / DP 2.6
I agree that we won't see 3Ghz for sometime . . . and I think your guesses above will be in the ball park . . . and the 975 rumors are rubbish.

What's more interesting to consider is the amenities the next systems will have. A number of people have pointed out the Express graphics cards are a possibility. ATI will announce their new chips June 3rd and Dell just place a large order for some Express cards to include in their systems. I'd think that Apple would be out in front on new technology like this.

What about hard drives? Prices have been dropping for the 80/160 gig sizes used in the current G5's . . . how large are the next round of drives?

Will the Superdrive finally go dual format? Dual layer?

And honestly? Does any of this matter if the XServes are still at 5-7 before they ship? Yeesh, it's been a long time since they were announced and a decent amount of time since IBM said they were doing better as far as manufactoring was concerned. Will we see some very competitive systems (both Power and iMac) be announced but see execution errors all over again? I certainly hope not.

Comment

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
fregedegpo said:
Bring on these new fangled machines, WITHOUT SOUND PROBLEMS PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Can you elaborate on that? What are these sound problems? I need to know as the only reason I'm going to buy a G5 is to switch my (audio) studio over to Mac. :eek:

Comment

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
i_b_joshua said:

i_b_joshua

i would LOVE steve to pull out the 3GHz & be able to say, "didn't think we were going to be able to do it, did'ja?", but i kind of doubt it.

nevertheless, it's GOT to be more than a bump from 2GHz --> 2.2GHz. people would get up & leave WWDC.

also, the higher we get in GHz, the less of a difference a couple hundred MHz makes from the top end machine to the entry level. if you're going from a 700MHz-->833MHz-->1GHz, that's a good percentage of the processor speed difference, but 2.6GHz-->2.8-->3GHz isn't a lot of spread.

anyone else think that the spread will start getting a little wider?
2-->2.4-->3?

Comment

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
sosumi said:
ADC = Apple Developer Community (or something like it)
ADC is the Apple analogue to Microsoft's MSDN - it's a program for Apple-based developers which gives them access to training, beta system software, testing platforms, and also provides ways to promote their own software, etc. There are multiple levels, from a free level which gives you access to updated developer tools and a few other things to the premier level which gives you nice discounts on hardware, etc. See http://developer.apple.com/membership/ . Note that the price for premier is $3500

Comment

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
i_b_joshua said:

i_b_joshua

Exactly what I was thinking. This could be bad news since only the 1.6 is affected. Okay, so 3 ghz is more than likely not going to happen but please let the high end be more than 2.2 ghz!

Comment

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
adamfilip said:
I completely agree.

He said 3ghz.. it may be 2 months after wwdc before they start shipping but they will come!

take the man on his word..

Blind faith! Sheesh. He can't ship anything if IBM can't make 3GHz capable processors. I can see Jobs preannouncing a 3GHz for Christmas if IBM don't fix their process within the next month or two!

I'm hedging my bets on 2.1GHz, 2.4GHz and 2.7GHz systems myself (3x multiplier, 700, 800 and 900MHz busses respectively). If Apple do get >1GHz busses working then maybe we'll see 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 (pick any 3) systems.

Comment

darthdrinker

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
adamfilip said:
I completely agree.

He said 3ghz.. it may be 2 months after wwdc before they start shipping but they will come!

take the man on his word..

"The man" has no influence on the yields in the proc factory. Especially because there have been problems before. So I will believe when I see, but I sure hope there will be 3G. ;)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.