Cleveland Police engaged in pattern of excessive force

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Dec 4, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's a start.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/holder-announces-findings-of-cleveland-police-dept-investigation/

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Eric Holder should change his name to "Captain Obvious".

3. DonJudgeMe, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Funny, but I think it's more of an admittance than an informative speech.:rolleyes:

4. stroked Suspended

stroked

Eric Holder has the same credibility as the KKK, or Al Sharpton.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And you actually got up voted for this comment. :confused: For a change of pace why not look at the findings before you make snarky comments. You either have interest in wrong doing or you prefer to exist in the partisan world.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You'll notice those type of comments get voted up almost instantly.

They got some kind of +1 network going on. :eek:

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why? He seems to be trying to sort out some of these problems, that is good.

8. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Hey, with all things there has to be a balance. We need a level of partisan hackery to keep things running well.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This headline could read "(insert city) Police engaged in pattern of excessive force."

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Sounds like this cop some completely inept at his job. How the hell did Cleveland not pull his previous LEO file?

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

Problems here are very deep and longstanding. I hope improvements can be achieved.

13. stroked Suspended

stroked

When Holder becomes interested in justice for all Americans, not just "his people", I might change my attitude.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And who said he's not? Just because the issue of police misconduct puts blacks at the forefront of attention, that doesn't mean changing misconduct against all races is not included.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The problem is quite clearly much worse for blacks, there don't seem to be any similar recent cases against whites, even though blacks only make up 10% of the U.S. population.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

How has he not protected all Americans? It appears obvious that minorities can use the extra help, but it can't be characterized as special privileges, it's help from unwarranted persecution. Yes, that's my opinion.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

To be fair, he seems to be interested in justice for others, as demonstrated by his decision to stop defending DOMA and other decisions regarding federal recognition of gay marriages.

His stance on gay marriage has led to many of "his people" becoming quite upset with him.

So your comparison to the KKK isn't just ridiculous, it's just plain ignorant.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Somehow he got it in his head that Holder is a black supremacist. :confused: No specific accusation directed here, but I've observed this reaction in people with the perceived upper hand when another group appears to be offered the same privileges. It's like when my white daughter-in-law who used to be on SNAP (nutrition assistance) looks down on blacks using the same program as her. (No worries, she does not use Macs and is unaware of this forum, :))

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

20. Huntn, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It seems incredible to me that a policeman here could kill anyone for not obeying an instruction (unless that instruction was "do not point that thing at me", in which case the better course would be to take cover and negotiate a peaceful resolution. This is the right way to achieve due process.)

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

One was in Missouri in the vicinity of Ferguson, black guy with knife walking in circles. He was not hostile towards passerbys., seems to be in his own little world. Police arrive in car.
    "Stop, drop your knife!"
    -Non-compliant individual starts walking slowly towards 2 officers.
    -Bang, he's dead, from over 15' away.

23. SusanK macrumors 68000

Was that last summer shortly after the Michael Brown shooting? I saw a similar video.

24. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

25. SusanK macrumors 68000

Peaceful demonstration here now

There are demonstrators in Downtown Cleveland now. Demonstrators delivered 137 pink roses to the steps of the Justice Center in a memorial tribute to Timothy Russell and Malissa Wiliams.

Mr.Russell and Ms. Williams were killed when their car backfired and a chase ensued. The roses were to symbolize the 137 rounds fired into the unarmed victims' car. Civil litigation in that case was settled today.

One officer was indicted but trial date is not set at this time.

Demonstrators continued to walk peacefully protesting the death of Tamir Rice. The demonstration is still in progress.

Cleveland Police seem to be responding appropriately to the peaceful demonstration.

----------

Thank you for the link. It is the same incident. So sad.