Cleveland Police: Obey us or get "justifiably" killed.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Technarchy, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Tamir Rice shooting background story here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1825165

So now that we've seen the video, which clearly shows the officers shooting the kid in two seconds, with no orders or commands, just an execution.

The Cleveland police union sums it up real simple: Obey us or we kill you...Justified...

If I can quote the Daily Kos on this one:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/15/1352110/-Jeffery-Follmer-shows-his-true-colors-on-All-In#

Ridiculous. Welcome to the land of the free to get executed.

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The question is what do we do about this? Do we need police reform laws on a federal level? And what would those laws entail?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think making every death have to be reported to the FBI and a full independent investigation into every shooting with an independent federal prosecutor should end at least the worst abuses.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Put a 10-second time-delay lock on their holsters.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The male had this, modified the orange tip away, to look like a real weapon. He wanted to look like a real criminal, he deserved to be shot like a real criminal. He got exactly what he wanted.

The only legislation that would be relevant, is to ban the sale of anything that can be fashioned to look like a real gun. Lumber for example, i could go get a chunk of 2x4 from homedepot, with some cutting, carving and good paint, could make look just as good. Cant have that.

Attached Files:

6. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

By this stupid statement, according to the video, the kid did not even get 3 sec, and a report from another police dept that the officer shooter did not have the temperament to be an officer , but there are police from th Union justifying it? Does it bring to mind the term "police state"? We have serious problems.

It's obvious to me that it will take much noisy effort, like protests to make a difference. I don't see this being fixed quietly. The people who run these law enforcement bureaucracies don't appear too bothered by the outcome.

A nice idea but I imagine a huge new department for the FBI to deal with this issue nationwide in a timely fashion.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You haven't really grasped the concept of "play", have you?

8. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Ridicioulous statement because you are willing to overlook incompetence to justify lethal police action? This is a significant part of this Nation's problem.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The male was a 12 year old boy who you think deserved to be shot like a criminal. Your post is the most disgusting post I have ever read on these pages.

10. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Neither did this kid, nor his parents/guardians. That's always been the key part of this case - who lets their kid take an extremely realistic-looking airsoft gun to a public park and brandish it? It's completely nuts, even if I think the Cleveland police were a little too trigger happy.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If it had been a real gun.
    And the 12 year old male had taken out 13 kids, ala Columbine.
    Then you *******s would be blaming the cops for not taking appropriate action against a crazy person with a gun.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    When I first heard this story, I wasn't too quick to blame the police. I thought it was tragic, and maybe could've been handled better in hindsight, but it was a realistic looking gun. Who would give a kid something like that?

Then I saw the video. It changed my opinion on the matter completely.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Cleveland ... you couldn't pay me enough money to be a citizen or a police officer there.

In any case, the last statement of the officer in the video kinda sums it up: Police take it personally if you do not do exactly what they want you to. They expect you to tolerate potentially illegal or erroneous actions so that the courts can sort it out. Sounds to me like the police need training to serve and protect, not to discipline.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Even the name of their football team is terrible.

15. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

He wasn't crazy and it wasn't appropriate, so much for your justification.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Even the Burning Cuyahoga's would be better than the Browns.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

But it was none of those things. It was a kid play on with a toy as millions do every day. And you have no problem with cops shooting him dead cause he deserved it. cops should know the difference between real threats and a kid. That's their ****ing job.

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

it is not like the two cops were great cops the shooter was fired from his last department because he was a very lousy cop. his partner beat up a lady who called the cops about a car parked in her driveway. a settlement was just paid because of this officers wrong actions. You have two keystone cops that were proven to be very bad cops and try to justify what they do?

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If he had the gun out, it was crowded, and they trained their weapons on him without firing, demanding he drop the gun three times before he brought it up threateningly like they claimed, then the shooting would be justified.

...but we all know now that isn't what happened.

20. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

they also said he was older he was with other black men they saw him pick up the gun. well till the video came out.

21. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

No. Airsoft guns, especially ones deliberately modified so as to be indistinguishable from actual firearms, are never, ever toys for children to brandish in a public park. However wrong the Cleveland officers may have been in their response, what this kid did (and what the parents evidently allowed) was not a-ok innocent play.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Totally agree. I wrote in this thread or a different one, a post in which I asked if I was a dick for actually thinking that. You know, was I blaming the victim. I have cops in my family, I am not a cop hater. IM not on board with the protests about some other cases, completely blaming the cops, calling for protest etc. but the way some people are talking about this case. It's beyond sad. And like we are all falling for posts in which people call this child a "male". Like we don't know that two cops killed a little boy if he is just called a "male."

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I have a better idea for legislation.

Make it illegal for a cop to discharge his weapon unless he is fired upon. If a cop breaks that rule and murders someone unjustifiably they should automatically face a firing squad.

That would clean up this mess quick and make cops think twice before being a government goon execution squad like they did when they murdered Tamir Rice.

24. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You are void of logic.

After they are are fired upon, they could be dead.
    And then you have more bad guys with guns, than good.

The presence of a deadly weapon, as in this case, is plenty of cause.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He was a 12 year-old boy.

It's stunning that you believe he "deserved to be shot like a real criminal" for removing an orange tip.

Absolutely stunning.