Clever Teen Creates Device That Could Save Lives During School Shootings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 21, 2018.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That looks very promising. Nicely done, Justin!

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I looks like a good idea and I'm glad his school still has metal shop

3. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Was literally just thinking that. Trade skills are still valuable and it makes me happy that this kid is trying to solve problems using the skills he has learned. I hope he sells a ton of them.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Great until the shooter locks himself in with the students.

Or until a sp'ed student locks himself into a room alone.

6. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

i applaud this innovator. kudos to him. but this remains a reactive solution. i'm sure his invention has other application and could be useful. need to address the real issue here - gun control.

as long as there is obsession with gun, more violence will occur. this tool of death should be highly regulated.

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Porpose what works for you.

I do think it is a crude solution, but can be implemented anywhere very fast.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2018 ---
    USA not the only place where this is happening (although not in schools, yet)

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Perfect opportunity for the kids/teacher in the room to jump him while his back is turned.

That’s a legit problem. But how many times might that happen vs potentially saving the lives of kids in an active shooter event? I’d opt for broken glass/door over dead kids.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Good for this kid! Hope he makes a lot of money on it.

I saw something on NBC last night: a school that has a hi-tech security system that looks like something out of a caper movie. Doors that all bolt at the push of a button. Cameras every fifteen feet or so, connected directly to the sheriff’s office. Ceiling jets that fill the halls with smoke to disorient and irritate the shooter, which can be triggered to follow the subject as sheriff’s deputies watch him on the cameras.

It was pretty cool, but it made me think what a shame it is that we’re actually resorting to stuff like that, instead of just making it harder to obtain guns. We are addicted to guns in this country.

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Another option:

https://slidetosafety.com/

Developed by a guy who went to a local HS. They had a segment about it on the local news.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Excellent, and depressing, all at the same time.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2018 ---
    This - so much this. We're forgetting how to build things. Mechanical drawing in shop was one of the most useful things I ever learned, not to mention the basic machining skills I learned there (although I nearly lost the tip of one of my fingers when some prat jostled me while I was working on the band saw).