Clicking the red "X" closes my app now instead of hiding it.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gunraidan, Jul 11, 2009.

1. gunraidan macrumors regular

You know when you use Safari, Pages, and what not how there are "red", "yellow", and "green" buttons on the top left corner? Well green is suppose to expand the Window, yellow is suppose to minimize it, and red is suppose to hide it. However lately when I click the red button it deletes the window and when I open up the application it shows the start up screen instead of the previous window I was on. It does this with all of the items in my dock now, except iTunes. How do I change the red button to hide the windows again instead of closing them? (Yes I know about CMD + H but I don't want to use that I wanna fix this).

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Red has never hidden the window. It closes it.

There is nothing to fix.

3. celticpride678

Try a disk repair and a permissions repair.

4. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

The red button has different behaviors from app to app. For some apps like the Finder, Mail, iTunes, etc., the red button closes only the window. For other apps, like 3rd party apps, the red button quits the application.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No.

If the app is a single-window app, like iPhoto, it will quit, otherwise it just closes the window. Some apps, like iTunes, will remember the window state when re-opened, thus making it appear as if the app was hidden.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

But I just clicked the red cross in iTunes and the music is still playing, so surely it's only hiding?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No. iTunes can close the window and still play music.

8. gunraidan thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh. So how do I get it to remember the state I had in an app like Safari or Pages?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can't. You are telling the app that you are done with that window, and don't need it's contents anymore. Either hide or minimize the window.

10. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Yup that's what I meant. This is one of the main factors in OS X that confuses the heck out of new switchers.

@OP: Are you a new switcher?

11. gunraidan thread starter macrumors regular

Yep.

Not to keep bugging you guys but is there a way I can have Safari's home page be the previous website I was browsing to give that illusion or put "Hide" as an option when right clicking?

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

In Safari you can go to "History>Reopen last closed window" or "History>Reopen all windows from last session", but other than that, when you close a window it's gone.

13. gunraidan thread starter macrumors regular

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well, if you don't want to see an window then why don't you just minimize it or if you don't want to see an application then use Command+H to hide it?

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can try setting this as your homepage:

javascript:history.go(-1)

EDIT: Apparently Safari doesn't allow JavaScript to be the homepage, but you can bookmark it, and then just click that.

16. gunraidan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

17. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Thats not always true. I had a 3rd party app once that could only ever have one window open, yet clicking the X closed the window and not the app. Garageband is a single window app and the X just takes you back to the opening thing.
    The only thing consistent about the traffic lights is the "-" button, everything else kinda changes depending on the app.

18. gunraidan thread starter macrumors regular

?