iPod clickwheel cover for ipod classic

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
does anybody use a prorective cover in the clickwheel? Isaw my firiends ipod, and they had a sort of shiny semi thick clear cover overthe clickwheel, and it seemed good, it still functioned, but it looked like it kept dirt, and grease, I tried to find a cover like this online, but most covers dont come with a clickwheel cover.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
No, I don't have any sort of specific (plastic style) click wheel cover on any of my iPod classics.

However, all of my iPods are protected by a soft leather cover, rather like a wallet in appearance. This means that when I am not actually using the click wheel, it has a soft leather cover, like that of a flip or folding cover, which folds over it.

Thus, the click wheel itself is covered (by a leather flip cover) most of the time, as is the iPod itself. However, when I am using the click wheel to scroll, or play, nothing covers it.

MBPiPTiMiP4S

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
does anybody use a prorective cover in the clickwheel? Isaw my firiends ipod, and they had a sort of shiny semi thick clear cover overthe clickwheel, and it seemed good, it still functioned, but it looked like it kept dirt, and grease, I tried to find a cover like this online, but most covers dont come with a clickwheel cover.
Overtime scratches and grease from your hand can discolor the clickwheel and have it looking in bad shape so I would recommend getting one. They sell clickwheel protectors on Amazon.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Overtime scratches and grease from your hand can discolor the clickwheel and have it looking in bad shape so I would recommend getting one. They sell clickwheel protectors on Amazon.
would a vinyl decal type cover work? I found one on ebay, it actually a vinyl cover for all parts of the ipod, but I will just use the clickwheel cover as I have a silicone cover over the rest of the ipod.

Jets737

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
No, I don't have any sort of specific (plastic style) click wheel cover on any of my iPod classics.

However, all of my iPods are protected by a soft leather cover, rather like a wallet in appearance. This means that when I am not actually using the click wheel, it has a soft leather cover, like that of a flip or folding cover, which folds over it.

Thus, the click wheel itself is covered (by a leather flip cover) most of the time, as is the iPod itself. However, when I am using the click wheel to scroll, or play, nothing covers it.
Same here. Bought a nice leather cover on E bay several years ago. My cover flips closed when listening or not in use. Little magnets hold it shut.

Classic160

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Great White North
would a vinyl decal type cover work? I found one on ebay, it actually a vinyl cover for all parts of the ipod, but I will just use the clickwheel cover as I have a silicone cover over the rest of the ipod.
I put a transparent decal type cover on the clickwheel of my Classic when I first got it but I never really got used to the feel of it. The clickwheel seemed less responsive to me and I eventually removed it. Like other folks here, I keep my Classic in a leather case with a flip top. It's protected when I'm not using it and after about 6 years of use it's still looking pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.