Climate Change — Walking the Walk

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Dec 13, 2014.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While the Daily Mail is a tabloid rag and not a reputable source, I still think it works as a lead-in to this topic. I'm sure the article is hyperbolic and slanted — I frankly haven't read it. Hopefully we can focus not on it, but on the underlying issues that it brings up.

It does strike me as antiquated that ~12,000 people need to gather anywhere to discuss something, and when the subject is Climate Change, then that just invites cries of "hypocrisy" or at least "short sightedness". Moreover, acceptance of the science is still being questioned and public perception is playing a big part in the debate, so not only does image matter, but it also makes sense to lead by example and adopt smarter methods for doing business.

I would love to see these groups (scientists, diplomats, world leaders) conduct their summits remotely, taking advantage of the technologies available to them and setting an example by walking the walk, not just talking the talk.

Thoughts?

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

What if there was a summit on climate change and the attendees arrived in country by sailing ships. They got around the local in electric vehicles. The food was cooked using solar energy. The trash was recycled. Instead of flying in on pollution producing jets, riding in armored gas guzzling limousines and eating the finest cuisine cooked on gas.

3. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

While I appreciate both your thoughts and the cutting wit that I detect behind them, sailing ships take weeks, if not months to travel across the ocean.

I'd just suggest using the internets.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Even better. All participants stay home and video conference. Then they can eat their own cooking. Huge savings all the way around.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Excellent idea. The WTO, IMF, World Bank, TPP and all those other global entities can do that as well. I cannot wait to see all the international treaties and agreements signed with amendments by the world wing of Anonymous included in them.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Al Gore flew in on a GS II powered by his own flatulence.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

In the '60s, Dr. Timothy Leary wrote about a way of taking trips without ever leaving home, but today there seem to be other ways of achieving that goal...

[​IMG]

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I've posted this in a bunch of threads here about climate change over the years. That its ridiculous that whenever we have these summits, people fly to whatever country they are in, pile into SUVs to drive to their hotels, etc etc. Usually, I just get the typical response: don't shoot the messenger. When I say I'm not, I'm saying it would help the cause to, as citizenzen says, "walk the walk", people usually just blow that off with more don't shoot the messenger type crap. The same for whenever I point out that if someone like Leo DiCaprio (sp?) wants to get people on the save the earth bandwagon, maybe he should sell one of his mansions. Same response usually....

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Video conferencing isn't as good. If you want to make a serious political deal you've got to have all the people in the same room.

Leonardo DiCaprio could however manage to live in a single eco home of reasonable size.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I kind of disagree. I was always against conferences as a waste of time and a distraction. But in recent years I have realised they are really productive. It is not jut about didactic listening to talks. It is actually a great learning opportunities and discussion which just cannot be equalled over the Internet.

That said it all depends on the format and what is discussed. If the opportunity cost of those fossil fuels for delegates flying to conferences is not met in outcomes then it perhaps isn't worth it. But I think that is a very difficult measure.

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Couldn't they at least "ride share?" You know all European leaders on one flight, all North American leaders on one flight, etc.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm not sure this would be possible given the security involved. I don't think you do either.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not even all the members of One Direction travel on the same flight for security reasons.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The biggest hypocrisy is for the Western countries who for centuries polluted the earth, now saying to the newly developed countries they must cut back their growth.
    Access to cheap power is a fast track out of poverty, to many countries with a huge population this is a high priority.
    The western world would have far more credibility if they could just live carbon neutral.

It's like the Europeans who over centuries killed all the dangerous animals that lived in this part of the world.
    But lecture other countries on how they should make space for their very dangerous animals.

15. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'm not sure have these conferences and summits produce anything worthwhile to begin with. Other than messing up traffic and ruining the local city for a week.

I'm sure the local prostitutes and bars appreciate the business though.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I had the misfortune to be visiting NYC when the UN had a major meeting, President Bush was going to speak.

I heard from New Yorkers that this was quite common, whole roads were just closed down for hours.

I'm so glad I live in a small city which almost never hosts international events.

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Green power fails again.

As far as the US is concerned, the event is a waste of time since it's at the Paris conference next year where the treaty will be created. And a GOP-dominated Congress will never ratify that treaty.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ah good the US spoils everything for the rest of us.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If it's such a great plan, you guys go ahead without US. We'll pick up the pieces as usual.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If the rest of the world has a low carbon economy then you won't be able to compete.

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If that low carbon state results from wrecked economies, we won't have to compete.

Meanwhile, we'll be working on the tech that will make low carbon a reality, but since government treaties can't legislate discoveries or genius, that tech will happen in its own time, not on a schedule.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why would improvinv efficiency wreck economies?

except that governments nurture technologies all the time. e.g Japan's electronics industry and the US with the Internet.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You think improving efficiency is all (or even most) of what will be needed to reduce carbon emissions to, say, 1990 levels? I'm stunned.

You misunderstood my point. It doesn't matter how much money is spent, basic research (which is what we're discussing) can't promise results on a deadline.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Where the hell did that assertion come from? He asked you a question, and in response you just made **** up to argue against facetiously.

25. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Why so angry, bro? Where did I say that increased efficiency would wreck economies?

I didn't, so his response was clueless. Increased efficiency is laudable, but, barring some nano-tech discovery or something similar, it won't make a dent in carbon emissions of the amount being discussed.