Clinton and aides left classified document in Russian hotel

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Sep 24, 2016.

1. zin macrumors 6502

Source

Qualified and competent, folks.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

More qualified and competent than the alternative even if that isn't saying much.

3. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

Deflect! Deflect! :eek:

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Article said that a member of diplomatic security found it. DS probably makes sweeps through rooms looking for exactly this kind of thing.

I would bet that the SoS rarely accounts for the documents they are dealing with, and leaves that for their various assistants to handle.

But good luck trying to build this into a scandal. It's old information that didn't compel Comey to indict in the first place.

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

She didn't know you couldn't leave classified documents in foreign hotel rooms.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Her assistant was carrying the document, not HRC.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the aide did it do she did it? with that logic trump has done all his lacky's have done.

8. Limey77 macrumors regular

Yeah it seems like the system she had in place worked perfectly. Her aide screwed up but then the DS picked up their error and collected the document.

I'd be surprised if it was unattended for a single minute. But you know, the Trumpettes have to cling on to anything however insignificant.

9. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, it didn't work out perfectly. The system she had in place was not even meant to be in place, as the document was never meant to have been brought into the hotel room.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Where was it supposed to have been read?

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think this calls for a full House investigation. :cool:

12. Limey77 macrumors regular

Nothing in the article you quoted says anything about that particular document not being allowed in the suite. It does say the diplomatic pouch should not have been in the suite - which again is her aide's fault.

But there are often many things in diplomatic pouches. It's a common way of sneaking in banned goods or firearms into a country.

If you have a link supporting your claim that this particular document should never have been in the suite then I'll happily review it and respond accordingly. But I doubt you do.

13. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

Goalposts keep shifting. The article mentions that the DSS determined that the pouch of documents should never have been brought into the hotel room. It does not provide any details on how classified information in that format was to be handled, only that it was handled improperly.

Mishandling classified information seems to have been a pattern with Clinton and her aides.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I have a clearance and work with this material all the time. She should have been more responsible. How many interns, assistants, aides, etc can she blame **** on? When is she ever accountable?

15. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

From the first post in this thread and the second paragraph in the article.

16. Limey77 macrumors regular

As I said, the POUCH was not meant to be there but it conveniently says no such thing about this particular document. Presumably because there was no reason it should not be there.

But again, if you have any evidence that the document that her aide left behind should never have been in the suite and that Hillary ever saw this document then let's see it. I suspect you don't and have just inferred your position based on your bias rather than a comprehension of the source you quoted.

17. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

Sigh. You really go through loops to defend her, don't you? Your logic does not make sense, as the documents are supposed to be transported in these pouches (which necessarily would mean the contents should also never have been in the building).

If you're unhappy with logic, then here's the relevant excerpt from the FBI documents that specifically says the pouch and documents should not have been in the suite. I suspect ABC didn't clarify this point because it is so obvious.

[​IMG]

Next time don't ignore something that is blindingly obvious and logical due to your bias.

18. Limey77 macrumors regular

Oh it's not my bias, I was just working on what you gave us. So yes it does appear that Hanley was wrong to do that and wrong to leave the document behind and subsequently received additional training to ensure it never happened again.

So once again, an aide made an error, the systems in place to safeguard security worked perfectly. The document was recovered without falling into the wrong hands and the aide received support to ensure the mistake was not repeated.

A wonderful example of an excellent leader. Always training her staff and putting safeguards in place so that if a mistake happens (as they do) then it is picked up by another member of the extended team.

Out of interest I do personally wonder where Hillary was meant to read the briefings and documents as she was apparently only given them on landing in Russia.

19. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, you're right, once again somebody at the Clinton State Department mishandled classified information. It seems to have been a pattern.

20. Limey77 macrumors regular

And what became of it? Nothing, nothing at all. Why don't you post the next time one of her aides forgets to zip his pants or has an undone shoelace? It would be much more interesting.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL never... since it was disinformation planted to see whether Russian intel was totally asleep at the switch. ;)

22. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm flabbergasted that you believe this pattern of mishandling classified information was acceptable because in each isolated instance, the actual experts cleaned up the mess. I'm also troubled that you're equating the mishandling of classified information with somebody forgetting to zip their pants. People can die and foreign relations can sour when this information is not properly handled. What it suggests to me is a pattern of utter incompetence by people who are very likely to be assuming the same, or more senior, roles as a result of a Clinton victory.

23. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The reset switch? :confused:

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah tell it to Valerie Plame why don't you.

25. Limey77 macrumors regular

But we all know the level of fear and paranoia that you work to.

This seems totally par for the course to me. Hell we had a cabinet minister photographed on the tube(underground) annotating a top secret email.

Now if you would just use your level of nitpickery equally on Trump, then you might be taken seriously.

In this case a mistake was made (as happens) and it was spotted and rectified before anything could happen. That is commonly known as a success, a well built organisation that double or triple checks everything.