Clinton and Obama Call Sri Lankan Church Bombing Victims “Easter Worshippers”

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 22, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://thelibertarianrepublic.com/...vt1QMJUji6tNr_W2hfaAVJsZRIysePR20FNd57u2rR2yQ
    I HATE both Hillary and Obama for their IMHO crimes against humanity, but here I will have to commend them for not fanning the flames of hatred and making this a religious mess the extremist want.

2. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

I don't see the issue. "Easter Worshippers" is a way of saying Christians, isn't it? Non-Christians wouldn't be celebrating Easter. Using this term is a way to say that Christians celebrating Easter were targeted. It's actually more descriptive than just saying "Christians". I don't like either Hillary or Obama, but castigating them for this is a bit silly IMO.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

plenty of non Christians celebrate easter, they simply don't go to church to do so ;)

4. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Not many people worship outside of a church do they? What a phony outrage. Trump didn’t mention Christians in his Easter or Sri Lanka tweets. Should we be outraged over that? The Republican Jewish Coalition also used “Easter worshipers” in their tweet about Sri Lanka. Is that also offensive? Seems to me most people would assume Easter Worshipers = Christians in a place of worship on Easter Sunday. Those inferring something different are just looking to be outraged.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hard-hitting essential journalism from The Libertarian Republic blog.

Twitter-driven stories are almost always dumb. Knock-knee'd, drooling, confused like a stroked-out cat dumb. A story about Twitter reactions is even dumber. Everyone lost a tiny bit of intelligence just because this story was written, not because you read it, just because it exists in the Universe. KorBQexal 314 of the Andromeda Galaxy tripped on a piece of lint because of this story.

And, every time someone writes this kind of story an angel collides with a telephone pole.

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

So the religious conservatives are now the language police? Who could have seen that coming?:rolleyes:

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Posting this sort of idiocy, even to make fun of it, is counterproductive. Best to let this sort of nonsense die a natural death in the dark little corner of the internet where people foolishly think like this.

8. Krayzkat Suspended

I can understand people hating Hillary for "crimes against humanity" because of Benghazi, the email scandal, being the wife of former president Bill Clinton, and just being a woman in general. (note: this is not my opinion, just saying i can understand why people dislike her)

What has Obama done that are "crimes against humanity"?

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

i'LL LET that be in another thread.

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Not a fan Obama or either of the Clintons for a whole variety of reasons, but this is a "nothing to see here" thing for me.

Regardless of the location, I think describing people attending church on Easter Sunday as "Easter Worshiper" is a completely legitimate description. It's no different from describing the people attending church or any other religious building on any other day of the year as "Worshipers."

(I'm a Christian and a conservative).

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

“Easter Worshipers” is one of the top trending items on Twitter right now. I guess if Clinton and Obama had called them “people” instead, like Donald Trump did Newt Gingrich and others wouldn’t be appalled?its amazing how people find a way to be outraged 24/7.

12. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

13. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Uh, expanding a worldwide (and internationally illegal) assassination program and having a “double tap” policy that killed thousands of innocent people looking to help droning victims certainly comes to mind...

Not to mention that Clinton *worked* for Obama, unless you think Libya was a rouge act by the SoS??

Have some of you people just woken up from a 10 year nap?

14. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

One or a few I can understand. But there is a pattern here... easterworshippers.png

"Christian" is shorter to type out than "Easter worshippers," anyway.

15. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The DNC kicked out an email pointing to the former president's tweet this morning. And of course, people repeat certain language and echo framings—I'm sure there's a dead Roman you could impress with this knowledge, but everyone else seems to know this, hence modern politics.

Moreover, why is every tin-pan conservative blog talking about the tweets now? The same reason, they're just chasing down the Washington Examiner's bitching that the Tweets were "mealy-mouthed."

Fortunately, the Sri Lankan government has shutdown social media, saving them from this very stupid discussion.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2019 ---
    But, they didn't ensure to point out that Christians were attacked either. (Further proof that if you want news, you'd read the AP and ignore the American Pravda.)

Not until the political arm at Fox News realized they could use the dead in Sri Lanka as a cudgel, and now that's most of what they'll talk about before shifting to talking about the old Muslims vs. Christian narrative.

Fox News doesn't know anything about Sri Lanka, and hence, we'll get the political theater of the absurd.

17. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Yes, but Fox News still elected to publish it, including using “Easter worshippers” in the headline. I’d love to see what they would have done if the AP used a similar headline after this silly contretemps.

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I only found it odd because these people weren't worshiping Easter, they were worshiping God/Jesus/Spirit. So I think it's a silly phrase to begin with.

And yes, only Christians celebrate Easter as it is the reason for Christianity and the most important day of the Christian calendar. I'll never understand why it's not treated with more reverence, instead of as a child's holiday.

19. Zenithal macrumors 604

It may be somewhat inappropriate to label victims as Christians if they themselves weren't worshipers. It also gets a little fuzzy since there were many nationalities involved. Some Christian churches celebrate Easter at a later date, too.

But hey let's debate something so silly and ignore more serious matters.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2019 ---
    For the same reason Christmas and Valentine's Day have fallen from their once glorious pasts.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Plenty of Christians do not celebrate/observe Easter. Easter is definitely the most important date in many Christian liturgical calendars, but is not observed in every Christian denomination.
    What is incorrect is that Easter is not celebrated on the same date for everyone so "Easter Worshippers" is somewhat a non-inclusive term. Eastern Orthodox faithful will celebrate Easter this weekend, for example.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

It is odd phrasing though if Clinton and Obama were afraid to use the word Christians they could have done what Trump did and just called them “people”. Anyway both Easter and Christmas have become commercialized secular holidays though I doubt many non Christians (or people who aren’t religious) attend Easter or Christmas church services.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2019 ---
    I see now the debate has shifted to the media is trying to downplay who did this. One I don’t know what they’re downplaying as every news report I’ve seen mentioned it was an ISIS related attack. Bottom line is this attack isn’t getting more coverage because it happened in Sri Lanka. If this had happened in the US or Western Europe it would be getting a lot more coverage.

22. Zenithal macrumors 604

11 years ago the media barely covered the Mumbai attacks. The media doesn't owe these countries one iota of coverage, but they do what's needed and move on. Though I don't see you complaining about any other terror attacks in other non-western nations either. I very much doubt the Indian press or even the Israeli press spends weeks on whatever happens in the US or Europe, either.

We're not the world police.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

How is it odd phrasing? It’s a fairly commonly used term and it accurately described the people who were attacked while attending Easter services. The fact this this is an issue at all is insane.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Not really sure how this was even a story? ‘Christians’, ‘Easter Worshipers’ I don’t think it even matters.

Next up: ‘Politician scratches their nose in public’...