Clinton : Businesses don't create jobs?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dmunjal, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

http://youtu.be/PyUoCiWsTfI

I agree that trickle down economics doesn't work but to say that businesses and corporations don't create jobs is the height of ignorance.

Is this the platform she's going to run on in 2016?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

And who satisfies consumer demand?

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And of course tax cuts for big corporations to set up shop in small towns where the populations get to work for said corporation for peanuts and get to pay their taxes for them too! As demonstrated by this 20 year old clip from the show "Roseanne" and still holds true today.

5. Dmunjal thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I'll bite. Where does consumer demand come from?

Did consumers know they "demanded" an iPhone before Jobs created it? It all starts with the entrepreneur in private enterprise. The most successful company in the world created jobs, not government.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

*Consumer demand may push production beyond current industry capacity, a business who wishes to meet this excess demand may invest in more capital equipment and labour. (see trickle down)

I can't see the vid, but I bet Hillary ain't that dumb. The bottom line is that trickle down economics "works" in that yes some of that money may get to the intended target, but it's efficiency and effectiveness are quite poor.

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Did consumers know they "demanded" the Internet before DARPA created it? It all starts with the government.

8. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

who is DARPA? a business? Corporation? Military industrial complex?

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Demand can come from a variety of sources, there are needs (like food and shelter) and there are wants (like a new iPhone). There are also factors like ability to pay, utility of the consumer good (that is correlated to need / want), and risk preferences.

10. Dmunjal thread starter macrumors 65816

DARPA was not available to the masses. It was a glorified science experiment. Those ideas were used to create the Internet by private enterprise. The government could never offer the capability to the consumer. Again, the JOBS were created by private enterprise. Government has a role in research but not commerce.

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Not a fan of the war monger looney, but do you have an UN-EDITED video source? or a link to her actual speech?

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Lot's of different people, organizations and businesses satisfy those demands.

Without the demand, the business does not exist.

Without the business, the demand has other ways to be satisfied.

13. Dmunjal thread starter macrumors 65816

Isn't demand infinite? We all want food, shelter, and other nice things. Even the worker in China wants nice things. What satisfies those demands is efficient production of goods. That's what Apple and other private enterprise specializes in. That way the masses can afford them.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Businesses. But if there isn't consumer demand, businesses will not have the need to hire.

It was why it was a huge farce back in 2009 that politicians wanted to cut taxes so businesses could hire people. But the fact is at the time with decreased consumer demand and everyone who still had a job was being more productive( fearing they would be laid off if they were not), businesses had no need to hire more people.

To think tax cuts would have helped without consumer demand was BS. Now if there was consumer demand, tax cuts could help businesses hire more( I am always skeptical of tax cuts or whatever programs designed to do one thing, but businesses decide to pocket the extra cash instead).

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I don't believe this is the full speech (and at work my options for search are a bit limited), but here is a greater context of the statement:

16. Dmunjal thread starter macrumors 65816

17. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

18. Dmunjal thread starter macrumors 65816

In part, yes. But there are tens of thousands of first line Apple employees who are doing very well thanks to their innovation. Those employees are spending money in the economy when they otherwise wouldn't. I know personally because I live near Cupertino and housing there is rising rapidly.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Quite simply no. Demand goods and services is large and varied, but not infinite.

Your grasp of economic principles seem tenuous at best. Perhaps you shouldn't be making erroneous assertions like these without further study.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Missed this....

Agreed jobs will come from businesses than the government.

But if the iPhone flopped because no one demanded it after Jobs unveiled it, then people would have possibly lost their jobs.

It takes an entrepreneur to create a product. Then it is up to consumer to demand it or not. Jobs will only be created if that product is successful thus jobs are needed to satisfy demand. Don't think Foxconn, etc would be hiring tons and tons of people to build iPhone's if there wasn't a huge demand for them.

So consumer demand creates jobs. You can make as many products as you want, but without consumers demanding them, you won't need a workforce to satisfy the demand.

21. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

if the businesses would get the tax breaks & were able to pay the cheap wages that the Chinese do, we could keep those jobs here :p.

CO I worked for made heat exchangers for the OEM automotive industry, our cost to build in the U.S was $80 for one model, same model DELIVERED from China was $16. Our welders? 25-35 per hour, theirs? 60 cents. Co I work for NOW is fighting against Chinese goods, it is not easy.

----------

you can also have over paid work forces that kill products, like Hostess & the CO's that should have been allowed the fail, the automotive industry that got bailed out with tax payer money.

22. Dmunjal thread starter macrumors 65816

I want a Ferrari. Actually two. I'd say my demand is an infinite as my imagination allows.

I worked for an Internet company in the 90s. I know what I'm talking about. Darpanet was not going to scale without private enterprise.

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Your grasp of economic principles seem tenuous at best.
    Bolded for emphasis. Nothing you've provided would make me alter my statement.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But what point are you making there?

It seems nonsensical.

Please explain.

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's really a combination of government and business. No one entity owns the title of job creator.

Example: Apple wants to build their spaceship campus. Employ thousands maybe.

Well how are those people going to get to work. They need roads and infrastructure. They need emergency services. They need water, sanitation, and sewage system.

Apple's ability to be a job creator is made possible, or at least made much easier with government having a hand infrastructure and services.

And then there is the massive amount of R&D the government funds in conjunction with private business to create new technology and industries that can create many new jobs in industries we don't even know about today.

And this is why it pisses me off when big business acts entitled. The only reason they can do anything at all is because our tax dollars are the back bone for everything business needs to function.