Clinton could have received 800,000 votes from noncitizens, study finds

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 27, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/26/hillary-clinton-received-800000-votes-from-nonciti/
    based on CA stupidity and as pointed out laws & regulations that are NOT clear, I can see some voting thinking they had the right to vote. I still think its stupid for trump to be investigating when the clown won.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There's no data in this "article". Just an assertion.

Media literacy FTW.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it's the WT, and it's referencing a blog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you guys missed the part where I said 1 investigation is stupid
    2. we have stupid laws that MIGHT have lead some to believe they could legally vote.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

So, the same level of evidence as the recent FBI & CIA "report" about Russian hacking.

Team sports FTW.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

see post above, no worries I still love ALL of you :D

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Yeah - I'm pretty sure you just posted the article and the quote and then added in your commentary afterwards and after I had replied :)

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the blog part is part of post one in the quote o_O

9. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

No...that was CNN. :)

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Me type fastly one day.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

...I've been saying since day one that the CIA/FBI/Deep State is trying to lead Trump by the nose to continue the neoliberal conquest of the East (heading towards Russia), you can check my posting history for my takedown on the laughably inept original report.

Team sports indeed.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I am calling the man stupid for investigating when he won, HOW the fill florn fill is that "team sports"??????? o_O

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

...I wasn't talking about you sweety, I was responding to Chow's assertion that I'm somehow standing with the Democrats nonsense deflection to Russia instead of purging the corporatists from the party.

14. R.Perez, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017

R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

A similar study in 2014 was thoroughly debunked. I will post a link when I get back to my desk.

While the cited study used a different data set, the methodology is pretty darn similar.

Source: Ansolabehere, S., Luks, S., & Schaffner, B. F. (2015). The perils of cherry picking low frequency events in large sample surveys. Electoral Studies, 40, 409-410.

In addition, in California (just as an example) non-citizens can attempt to register when they get a DL, but citizenship is verified on the back end before they are added to the voter roles. Chances are non-citizens voting is rare and instances of votes cast by non-citizens being counted are even more unlikely.

Source: LA Times

Will post links to support both claims. ***Edit*** see links above.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The study has a pretty obscure author (h-index of 6 indicates that a total of 6 of his papers have received at least 6 citations). He might do more teaching than research work. You can also see the study here. I wouldn't give too much credibility to an analysis which relies on a lengthy internet survey and significance testing based on point estimates, but I also didn't major in political science (<--- to be clear, this last part is just meant to be a stupid joke in case anyone else did in fact major in it).

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

800,000 is a far cry from Trump's claims of 5 million.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, and my dog could have voted too. He didn't, but he could have if the poll workers were paid off to allow him to cast a ballot. The possibility is there, but it doesn't mean he did.

Speaking of ballots, since we have secret ballots, if 800,000 noncitizens voted, we don't know who they voted for.

This article is speculative BS with no proof to back it up.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You guys might want to read the study before convincing yourselves of this. He makes some wild assumptions regarding his data that really aren't supported by his analysis. One example would be the state-wise correlation.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

They need to compare voter registration to the alien registration database. Obama blocked this because he somehow knew there were no violations. It's an easy thing to test...

21. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

It has been a long complaint of Republicans about Voter ID and Fraud. Trump is simply towing the line. Is he going to be over the top, absolutely, that's what he does. Will he get something done, absolutely!

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And ...
    And ...
    Fine work as always, boys.

:rolleyes:

23. samcraig macrumors P6

24. Huntn, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Not only that, it's from the Washington Times a conservative propaganda rag doing it's part to prop up our new leader.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Trump is definitely a jackass, but the writeup is also sloppy. It hasn't been cited much for a couple reasons. It's new, its analysis is very light, and it contains silly assumptions.