Clinton has released a wide-ranging mental-health strategy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AlliFlowers, Sep 1, 2016.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I mentioned this in another thread, but it deserved its own spotlight. From the Washington Post:

This is the kind of program everyone hollers for every time there is a mass shooting incident. This is the kind of work we will see (and have always seen) from Hillary Clinton.

This is progress.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

maybe when she is president, trump can get the help he so desperately needs.

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Okay, but what makes people want to commit mass shooting incidents? Is that ever asked or is society a vacuum that never ever influences any decisions of any sort?

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

As a neuroscientist I welcome the increase in brain research. Right now various 'mental disorders' have neural correlates, and we need to start sorting out which of these should be pursued as ways of understanding and treating mental illness. Let us hope that these plans do not get bogged down in political bickering.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Never mind the article starts with more idiotic brainless wind-up clickbait instead of saying what the piece is about. Unless the article is discussing clickbait, here's the title for those that don't want to click:

Anyway, the plan sounds good but we'll see what happens. Obama and Bush made a lot of promises too.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    Remember, correlation is not always causation.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

I predict this will have no effect on PRSI denizens.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Did she announce it at a press conference?

LOL! Just kidding! :p

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

9. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Very mature... Bravo. Thank you so much for your contribution to this discussion.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's called a joke. Forgive me I didn't know members of the tight ass club were the only ones permitted in this thread. Carry on! :rolleyes:

11. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

He was being sarcastic! god cant you take a joke! but hes only being slightly sarcastic. I mean he literally means he wants her to lead it.

12. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

Haha, joke was funny!

That 's it? Hardly going to make a dent in any city.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Agreed, but that is one of the things we need to sort out. It will take considerable resources to do prospective studies.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

She certainly needs all the help she can get. I don't see it as mentally healthy to be a war-hawk nor to be wiling to add to the national debt as she does.

15. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

so because you don't agree with someones view points, their mental health is in question. that makes total and complete sense

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I'm all for the expansion and improvement of mental health services, as I work in this field.

That said, Clinton also needs to make sure this money gets put to good use. I've seen government money squandered time and time again.

The awful thing about addiction treatment in general is that there is practically zero oversight on many addiction treatment programs. Most addiction treatment programs are non-medical facilities and therefore pretty much have no accountability. Staff don't need any specific training or education. You don't need a special license to run a program unless you have clinical staff. These programs might be 12-step, most are infact, fine, but this isn't exactly utilizing the best clinical information. There is such a disconnect between the science of addiction and addiction treatment.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, impulse, war-hawkitis seems like an idea which isn't exactly sane--unless you think that trying to start a war with Russia is a good idea. Or that borrowing money to pay the interest on money you've already borrowed is some sort of rational thought.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Should be more like $50B, not $5B. Still, at least she acknowledges the need. We are talking roughly 4% -- 1 out 25 of all of us -- who have serious, debilitating mental illness. Source: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/director/2015/mental-health-awareness-month-by-the-numbers.shtml

With any luck we will raise the marginal tax rate on incomes over $1M both to pay for it and pay down the debt. Like we did 1946-1981.

19. 1458279 Suspended

The problem is that anyone that doesn't agree with the government is considered to be mental ill. The government has come out against the Tea Party and "climate deniers" as being terrorists and they'll be the ones the government want's to lock up.

If Hillary wanted to enact China's "great leap forward" Dems would blindly follow her.

The government drugs boys when they don't behave the way they want them to. People are so willing to blindly trust the government, it's sad. They should study history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Jackson_Freeman_II

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I can assure you presently the government does not label people who disagree as mentally ill. If you look at the DSM-V it has very specific criteria for labeling people as mentally ill. The diagnosis criteria for a particular disease is required for insurance billing (correlated w/ ICD-10 codes). Pretty much the underlying necessity for a mental health condition is to cause distress to oneself or makes them a danger to themselves or others. In fact the DSM differentiates between a condition vs. religion or political opinions quite clearly.

If you doing like the NSA collecting your internet information that's your opinion. If you can't sleep and refuse to leave your house and stopped using computers because you think the government is after you, then you're probably paranoid and need help.

"Climate-Deniers" might be called crazy by poltical groups as a hyperbolic statement but no legitimate clinician would call that a disease. Insurance would never pay for that hahah. People are given a set of facts all the time in life and refuse to to draw the logical conclusion.

Not to worry Lobotomy really died off in the later 1950's with the invention of Thorazine. The history of Lobotomies have a lot of shock and awe, and there were some unfortunate results, wrongful procedures, and largely unethical doctors like Dr. Freeman. Dr. Freeman actually made the procedure safer. In the context of history, lobotomies were actually fairly effective at controlling the symptoms of the diseases.

Keep in mind before the early-mid 1950's there were no antipsychotics. Most people with severe mental disorders didn't recieve very good care, and for much of history these were locked in asylums to suffer. I'm not reccomending lobotomies in 2016 we have a lot better treatments now obviously. But in the context of pre-modern psychiatric medicine it was one of the only effective tools to improve the patients quality of life. And frankly it's more humane than some of the other treatments with no efficacy. Most untreated people with severe mental illness are not happy living with their condition.

(Lobotomies still are done, very rarely, for people with severe seizure contains. Obiously we have a better idea of what we're doing though and this of course is a very last resort)

21. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

22. jerwin macrumors 68000

Are you questioning the ribbon?
    Screen Shot 8.png
    You Monster!