Clinton: It's 'heartbreaking' when IT workers must train H-1B replacements

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jul 13, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Wow, that is a devastating takedown of Hillary. Too bad it's in a magazine that nobody reads.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is a problem with corporate America, better described as humanity, whether it be IT, banking, accounting, or construction workers. We, at least many of us seem so ready to stab our fellow citizens in the back to gain wealth, a big FU to our employees and fellow citizens, you know, the ones we share a common heritage with of making our country great. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure your man who has contracted with subs using undocumented workers in the past for the right price, is the man to fix the situation, lol. :rolleyes:

3. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Since it is claimed by some you are not a Hillary supporter, did you just give the site your seal of approval and will keep reading it more often?

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think this comes down to education. If foreign countries are able to provide their citizens with a quality of education that is comparable or better than what US citizens get, without burdening them with huge loans, those foreign people can more easily take our jobs for lower pay. It just makes sense.

We can't legislate this problem away. We have to treat it as competition and compete with it. In order to ensure US citizens can keep their jobs, we have to provide them with a quality of education higher than anywhere else in the world, and we have to ensure that they are in a financially stable position with said education.

I say, let the low-skill jobs go. We aren't getting them back. We can stem the tide of skilled work, and we can certainly steal some of the high-skilled work from other countries.

5. cube macrumors G5

BS. This is exploitaition. Give someone a substandard residency status for a lower wage to take good paying jobs away from US Persons.

6. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Tis true. The US needs to raise taxes so that people can have a free education and then take lower paid jobs or be replaced by immigrants.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The interview mentioned was one she provided to Ezra Kelin at Vox. I think it got more exposure than you may think. In the material at the link I cite below, Klein put the video and a complete transcript below some summary points with sub-links. So however one likes to get info from a lengthy interview, the choices are there:

8. cube macrumors G5

What about having to train their replacement working for a US corporation in India via teleconference?

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Got a link that proves Gary Johnson hired undocumented workers?

I'll occasionally read Computerworld just as I always have.

Not much more. Vox is read mainly by robotic Hillary drones who will vote for anyone with a "D" after their name.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Its annoying to see L1 visas included with the H1-B. An L1 visa is typically for managerial staff for a position that typically cannot be filled by a US citizen or used by large multi-nationals to provide their senior international staff with experience of working in the US. This is also typically a two way street for there are many Americans on similar overseas assignments.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's been mentioned multiple times in the news. Feel free to discount it, Trump's The Man. :rolleyes:
    http://thinkprogress.org/immigration/2016/02/25/3754039/donald-trump-undocumented/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/donald-says-controversy-over-his-tower-was-trumped-n397821

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

13. cube macrumors G5

14. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

That's the article, hopefully it's accurate and complete (and no single article can be, neither can a group of related articles). Unfortunately, there is abuse regardless. The issue might be that of "how much".

It's news to me about a two-way street, Americans being trained overseas, but it's not inconceivable. Especially as the news articles we read only cover so much. Quite a conundrum, unfortunately.

At one point there wasn't abuse of these systems, created in good faith and for all the right reasons, but Y2K was dealt with a long time ago and that was a reasonable concern as to why. Now it's increasingly abused to artificially inflate profits while (sorry for the language) crapping on everyone. Did any politician truly know how much abuse would come about, if any? Or how it was sold to them? Thanks to recent issues with So Cal Edison, Disney, etc, whether it be Clinton or Trump or anyone else, there is a wide gamut and with the truth in the middle it's all not as crooked as some commenters on that site make it to be. But there's also no doubt Americans have been hurt. They've all pointed that out as well.

15. cube macrumors G5

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....These are jobs in fields such a software development, my own workplace has many of these workers hired for 6 months at a time. These are NOT low skill jobs, these are higher paid IT workers being replaced with H1B visa workers because they can be paid far less. IBM, Microsoft, Facebook, etc are all taking advantage of this.

17. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I don't see how that would stop companies from exploiting H1B visas...

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Oh some who dislike Clinton will check it out in case there's something in there that just massively substantiates your assessment that the Klein interview of Clinton, or at least the references excerpted for the Computerworld article, are really "a devastating takedown."

People who say they loathe Clinton are always looking for another factoid to put on their trophy walls of nasty clips about her. But then again there's the lazy way, just take as gospel your assertion that "There was this DEVASTATNG TAKEDOWN of Clinton" in some magazine...

Of course if they read the transcript on Vox, or watch the 40-minute video, it's possible they'll come away with a slightly different impression.

God forbid, eh? Must keep voter information low to elect the orange dufus.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Yes, they are taking advantage of this because (1) those foreign workers are just as good in terms of skill and education, and (2) yet they can be paid less for a number of economic reasons.

How do we, as a country, compete with that? As to (1): Make our workers better than the foreign workers in terms of skill and education. Why are schools in the south so adamant to teach creationism, when they should be teaching C++ and Python, Spanish and Chinese as a foreign languages, and starting on algebra no later than 6th grade? As to (2): While we cannot address some of the economic factors like cost of living, we can address the domestic workers' ballooning student loan burden which is today often higher than the cost of living, we can address the amount employers have to pay for the health insurance of domestic workers, we can address child-care burdens.

For example, I would gladly take a 20% pay cut to my job if overnight by student loans were wiped away. I would gladly take a 5% pay cut if we had a single-payer healthcare system. I would gladly take 5-10% pay cut if I knew pre-K and childcare costs were taken care of. Also, how much more massively productive would I be for my employer had I learned a good scripting language in elementary school?

How do you ensure my job isn't taken by a foreign worker? Make it less costly to employ me, and make it so I am more of an asset to my employer than any foreign worker could be.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I did not bring up Gary Johnson..

22. cube macrumors G5

Importing a foreign worker when there is no functional need is salary dumping, No requirement for local workers to become cheaper.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But he did, he said his guy was Gary Johnson

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly, devaluing workers here after 40 years of no income growth, is just a roundabout way of saying we should continue this neoliberal ******** of racing to the bottom.