Clinton Loans her campaign $5mil; Obama Beats Ron Paul $6mil Record

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zioxide, Feb 6, 2008.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So the news came out today that Hillary "loaned" her campaign $5 million dollars.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23037431/

So, in response to that, Obama has raised over $6 million in the past 24 hours. This breaks Ron Paul's single day $6.04 million record from his "tea party" in December.

latest numbers:
    [​IMG]

This is huge. Obama just keeps raising money, while Hillary is now scrambling for cash. He should be able to buy much more advertising and finance more on-foot campaigning for the upcoming primaries and caucuses in the next week.

It seems like Obama is keeping up his momentum. He won more states and more delegates yesterday. If he can manage to win most of the primaries/caucuses coming up, he will emerge as the front-runner for the nomination.

2. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama had my vote here in Maryland on Feb. 12th! Just donated $300 more today!

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

By all the counts I have seen, Cllinton won about 100 more delegates on Tuesday. Still the momentum is clearly with Obama at the moment.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I just can't see myself getting excited over either candidate really, but unless McCain suddenly decides to really take a trip on the Straight Talk Express, I'm sure I'll be holding my nose to vote for one of them come Nov and hoping they don't suck, but really just being happy if they aren't as bad as the current admin (not that that would be hard).

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

He hasn't technically beaten Ron Paul's fundraising record yet. Ron Paul raised $6.04 mil in 24 hours, Obama's fundraising, while remarkable, took a bit longer- "from the close of polls" until now (that's a live updating image).

6. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Considering the media coverage that Obama has been getting, I expected him to reach 6 mil a while ago.

Paul has gotten the least coverage and still reached that mark. A good example of when media support ≠ $$$.

7. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

The final polls closed at 12:30am EST Feb 6. At 12:30am EST Feb 7, Obama was up to $6.25 million.

8. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

everyone has bumps in fundraising.
    remember mccain was flying commercial last summer. his campaign was simply broke. look at him now.
    check CNN numbers of how much he had then and now.

9. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Here's to hoping it can help make a difference in the outcome of the nomination.

10. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Nice spin.

Looks like Hillary is making just as much $$$ in the same time - our media is so bias it isnt even funny - its all pro hype Obama - never mind the facts...

She has taken in over 6 million in less than 72 hours... now going for 7mil exactly on par with Mr Obama

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Attached Files:

11. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

So 5 of that can go to pay back her loan to her campaign, and then she has 1 left over :p

12. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Bama made his 6 in 24 hours, not 48-72. ;)

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And more than twice as much during the entire month of January. You hate to make too much of the money, but obviously the Clinton campaign is going to be in trouble very soon if this trend holds.

14. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Its 100% even now

"Hillary Clinton's campaign announced that it has raised $7.5 million since Super Tuesday - keeping pace, at least for this week, with Barack Obama's campaign.

Just as word about Clinton's money woes was reaching fever pitch - loaning her campaign $5 million of her own money, being outraised $32 million to $14 million in January by Obama - Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe excitedly told her donors today's news.

McAuliffe's announcement came hours after Obama's folks touted his $7.2 million raised since Super Tuesday. "

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/02/07/politics/fromtheroad/entry3804783.shtml

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Whoa, 100??? Try about 1/5th of that...

16. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

It's not even. $32 + $8 > $14 + $7.5 + $5

17. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Your right its not even, Clinton is ahead in the money raising in the over all (see pic). Even with 14+ million Obama got in January Hillary is still about 5 million ahead money wise.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/money/dems.html

Attached Files:

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

One interesting thing to look at on that graph is how Hillary's fund raising has been decreasing and Obama's increasing, I think that is the part everyone is trying to point out, not how much they currently have. Also, those are just 2007 numbers, that's not taking into account the fairly large gaps from just a month and a half ago, plus the fact that she's dipping into her own personal fortune now.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Meh, it's all about momentum now. Loaning her own campaign $5 million doesn't exactly exude confidence.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'll try almost anything, but it depends on who's estimate you accept. Due to the complexity of the Democratic delegate allocation system, they are all estimates and are changing constantly. Both the Clinton and Obama campaigns are claiming to have won more delegates. The latest AP estimate gives Clinton a lead of less than 100 delegates.

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Oooo, you should try vodka and squirt (THE SODA!!! You filthy animal...), a personal favorite I must say...

Back on topic, I was looking around at sever places and all the differences seemed to be less than 60. However, the biggest difference is in estimated superdelegates anyways. If I were a bettin' man I would say that they will be the difference in the end anyways. Too bad I'm not a gambler... or a man at that...

22. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, when I saw that I thought "wow, she's not going to be in trouble because of any financial problems her campaign may be having but because now people are going to think she is having a lot of financial problems and her campaign is floundering." Perception is almost everything in politics. If you look weak, you're dead.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

America is crazy, the absurd amounts of money and bull**** advertising campaigns that apparently people actually by in to is just beyond belief :rolleyes: :confused:

24. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It's always been an elaborate popularity contest. Just a bunch of rich egos needing stroking. I mean, does any sane person want the job?

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The 100 estimate came on Wednesday. The more recent unofficial estimates (not from the campaigns) are closer. But as I've said before, it's a virtual tie, with the momentum clearly in Obama's corner.

Why thank you. Can I be a moderator now too?

Seriously, I'm surprised at this remark. I can't read it as anything better than an insult.