Clinton may be one of the people least surprised she lost, says top strategist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shyam09, Feb 11, 2017.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/clinton...least-surprised-she-lost-says-top-strategist/

Just caught this on Google Now. That part of history is in the past now, but I find it funny how her aides keep bringing a specific vision of her to the public.

Err what? Paragraph 1 - She knew it was going to be a very rough battle what with the press and Republicans. Paragraph 2 - She thought she could best be president / be the Democrat in the best position to win. Paragraph 3 - Welp! Actually, she wasn't surprised that she lost.

According to Palmieri, the basket of deplorables did real damage. I think that's partially true, but it wasn't to the point of no-return. Her apology read sort of like Trump's ***** grabbing apology. It's apples to oranges because they are widely different situations, but I think it had the same base - a not very meaningful apology followed by criticizing the opponent. If Trump had genuinely apologized for those comments and shown he was a changed man, most of us wouldn't be so hard on him for those comments.

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Why aren't I 50 points ahead?

Yeah sure, we really believe that you weren't surprised that you lost.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Maybe should have not called her potential voters a bag of deplorables and called herself a wacky feminist in general election. Plus she made the mistakes of only showing up on the coast and pissing off coal miners!

4. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

I doubt that statement from Hillary cost her many votes as those people were already voting for Trump. And she did apologize, which is something Trump never does. And throughout the campaign Trump said many equally egregious things: his criticism of McCain, of the Purple Heart mother, of Mexicans. There was the infamous Billy Bush recording and let's not forget "How stupid are the people of Iowa?"

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Look, I have to deal with one giant douchebag right now - let's not drag another in

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Should be a learning moment for the left, either put someone up with less baggage, or someone who people are excited about.

Hillary had enough baggage to fill 3 Air Force ones.

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The left will never learn.

Too much self-righteousness precludes any ability to introspect.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, I hope they do, because the right doesn't give a crap about anything. That should be obvious. The left just needs to realize that we're grown-ups and can handle some slings and arrows...

9. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

You need to start with yourself. If you can't understand those you oppose, you can't challenge them.

10. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Maybe, but Trump doesn't? How about the $25 million settlement of the Trump U case? How about contributing to the Florida AG and soon after she drops the investigation of Trump U? How about refusing to show his tax returns (and coming up with the excuse about them being under audit)? How about the crudely written letter from the doctor proclaiming him to be the most fit person ever to run for president? How about the Trump Foundation that only seems to have benefited him personally? etc., etc., etc.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

man are we done painting with that huge arrogant brush yet?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ah yes, coal miners...the modern equivalent of buggy whip manufacturers. By all means, let's not let them know that theirs is a dying industry and offer them retraining for something better.

Yeah, I'm shaking my head.

We all know how terribly introspective, humble and open-minded the right is. :rolleyes:

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Never change my friend

14. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Strangely... more people actually voted for her ;)

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Not in the states that counted :D

16. Michael Scrip, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Haha true!

I was just commenting on the idea of "potential" voters while remembering she had more "actual" voters :)

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

What difference, at this point, does it make?

18. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

You're doing it wrong ;)

[​IMG]

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

oh, come on. Does anything these days relate to Conservatives? All of us are getting screwed. I understand that.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Statistically speaking the Comey letter had the biggest impact according to the polls. Yes, the polls were flawed but it doesn't mean they can't represent factors that affected the voters.

I think there are a lot of factors as to why Clinton lost though.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Her heart, wherever it may be, never seemed to be in it. People want a younger president. They want someone who's got some juice in them. People didn't vote for Clinton because of her issues and wrongdoings. These people either voted third party or for Trump. These people are also regretting voting for Trump now, but I digress. I have this feeling she only ran this year and in 08 to appease Bill. If the rumor mills out of DC were true in the late 90s, those two were having more rows every day than most couples have in a year.

22. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Do they? So how did that work out for them?

Because they put age 69 (Clinton) and age 70 (Trump) on the ticket.

And then there's those people who wanted Bernie at age 75 to be the president.

That seems to be the opposite of "people want a younger president" :D

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The right will never learn. Too much reluctance to publicise any of their good ideas and develop them to be workable.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2017 ---
    Both comments are true. Both sides need to try harder.

Personally I think a lot of conservative ideas are orthogonal to left wing ideas anyway.

24. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Except those are the people who were in the lead to get on the ticket. People wanted Bernie because of his views. Even if he were not snubbed, the chances of him winning were low. Because a large chunk of his voters said no to Clinton and voted for Trump, under the premise he was blowing hot air to get the old conservative vote. They were colored with shock when they realized he wasn't lying at all. These same people are regretting voting for him. If there aren't young people running, how do expect them to get on the ticket?

Meanwhile at DNC HQ, they're still running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Go ahead, keep ignoring assorted posts in PRSI that lefties have made looking at why the Dems lost this election.

However, that effort may distract you from examining what your buddy Trump is up to that doesn't exactly fit his campaign promises to ordinary Americans about making America great again. It's easier to keep track of this stuff as it happens, so when he runs for re-election you have maybe 4,893 reasons why he should be primaried.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2017 ---
    True. If the DNC doesn't get it that the Clinton era is over then the Democratic party should fold up its flag.

The Bernie voters who did not vote for her are practically revolutionaries now, ex Dems for sure. The voters who did vote for her are progressives who made a choice between undesirable candidates, and half of them are probably like me and on their way to becoming registered independents. The Dem voters who stayed home are silent and certainly not Clinton fans. The 73 people left in the Dem rolls unaccounted for are Clinton's old entourage...